Movie Review: Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking

DVD coverMeryl Streep is so good at making me cry, it’s easy to forget just how many times she’s made me laugh. Streep is a natural comedian and shines in movies like She-Devil and Postcards from the Edge. Her breathy “I’m a girl!” line in Death Becomes Her was worth the price of admission.

And here she is in The Devil Wears Prada, a wickedly funny behind-the-scenes look at the dog eat dog world of high fashion. Adapted from Lauren Weisberger’s bestselling novel, it tells the story of aspiring journalist Andy Sach’s adventures as dragonlady Miranda Priestly’s second assistant. The comedy ensues as Andy attempts to follow her boss’s impossible orders, which include procuring not one but two copies of the unpublished Harry Potter Book 7, and to “find me that piece of paper I had in my hand yesterday morning.” In the end both have benefited from knowing one another. Andy has more respect for the fashion world than before she arrived at Runway magazine, and Miranda has let her soft side show a time or two.

I’ll be reaching into my pocketbook to buy this movie for my own collection. It will sit in a place of honor next to my copy of Sophie’s Choice.

For more Meryl, search the JCLC catalog.

Comments