Kentucky Sends Ohio State Home

Big BlueThe SEC has Ohio State’s number. Time after time, sport after sport, SEC teams prevent Ohio State from winning championships. Last night, No. 4 seed Kentucky beat overall No. 1 seed Ohio State to advance to the Elite Eight. Freshman guard Brandon Knight hit a jump shot with seconds left in the game to put Kentucky ahead 62-60. Ohio State attempted a three-point shot with time running out, but the shot bounced off the rim. It was a huge upset for Ohio State not to advance from the Sweet Sixteen.

Flash back to 2007. The Florida Gators defeated Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament to win the national championship, 84-75. Earlier in the year, the Gators football team defeated Ohio State 41-14 to win the national championship. Ohio State advanced to the national championship game the following year to face the LSU Tigers who defeated them 38-24.


I’m not picking on Ohio State, but no matter how good their teams are, they can’t seem to get past the SEC. If you haven't guessed by now, I’m a big fan of SEC football and basketball. I know I should pick a team and ignore the others, but I cheer for the conference. I celebrated Auburn’s football championship and Alabama’s championship the previous year. I was thrilled when Florida won back-to-back championships in basketball. I’m pulling for Florida and Kentucky this year to make it to the Final Four. If the SEC wins, I win. I know this makes no sense to a lot of people, but to them I say: Roll Tide! War Eagle! Go Gators! Go Big Blue! You get the point.


The Final Four tips off in Houston on April 2. Hopefully, Florida and Kentucky will be in attendance. Between games, come check out the library's collection on college basketball and March Madness. The Basketball Subject Guide includes links to help keep you up-to-date on college basketball. Enjoy the rest of the tournament.

Comments