Fay B. Kaigler Children’s Book Festival

festival posterFrom April 11, 2012 to April 13, 2012, I served as a Graduate Student Ambassador for the Fay B. Kaigler Children’s Book Festival, held annually at the University of Southern Mississippi. Every year, graduate students can apply to become volunteer ambassadors for the festival. This year, five students from across the United States attended the festival as ambassadors, and I had the honor of being one of the students chosen.

As an ambassador, I had the privilege of being allowed to visit the depths of the De Grummond Collection, a special collection of children’s artwork and manuscripts. One unique part is their collection of Ezra Jack Keats material, including not only original illustrations but also personal memorabilia. But being an ambassador was about more than privileges. I assisted throughout the course of the festival by aiding the presenters and staff during the sessions and ceremonies.

When I sent in my application, I could only imagine what it would be like, but I knew it was something I wanted to do. It definitely lived up to my imagination. Now that I’ve graduated (Roll Tide!), I can add it to the list of memorable experiences I’ve had pursuing a career in librarianship.

Claire Stanton
Southern History Department
Central Library

Comments