Birmingham Public Library Art Exhibit Celebrates Some of the Summer Joys of Childhood

Solstice by Starr Weems

Catching fireflies on a summer night and other childhood pastimes are depicted in paintings by Athens resident Starr Weems at the Birmingham Public Library, now through May 2. The Illuminations in Poured Color exhibit is free and open to the public.

Weems, who teaches art and Spanish to students at Ardmore High School in Limestone County, says some of the best ideas for her paintings come from her two children. “Sometimes, when I see them play, it reminds me of things that I did as a kid, and I incorporate them into my paintings,’’ says Weems. “I have paintings of fireflies in jars, I have one of my little girl blowing bubbles and one of dandelions blowing away.’’

There are 34 pieces in the exhibit, which is located in the Central Library's Fourth Floor Gallery. Most of the pieces are for sale.

“(My) vibrant colors mingle and overlap, creating a magical feeling that reflects my thoughts on spirituality and the enjoyment of life,’’ says Weems. She uses transparent watercolor, poured in layers over masking fluid, to build high contrast images that are bathed in light. One look and you’d think you were floating right along with the dreamlike images.

Note: The exhibit opened in February. Its closing date has been extended to May 2. The library's address is 2100 Park Place. Visit www.bplonline.org/locations/central/ for library hours. For more information, call 205-226-3670.

For more information about Weems, visit her website at www.starrweems.com.

Comments