Goodreads – I describe Goodreads as Facebook for people who love to read. You can connect with friends, find out what they’re reading, list what you are currently reading, review and rate titles, etc. There are also some great ways to use Goodreads without being a member. You can use it to find authors similar to those you like as well as browse their many lists of books to find something to read.
- Type the author’s name.
- In the list of the author's books, click the author's name under a book title to bring up the author's profile.
- Click on Similar authors on the right-hand side at the top of the list of books (e.g. Carl Weber's Books).
Browse Lists to Find Titles
- Click on More book lists... near the bottom of the right column.
- Enter African American in the search box, then choose a list to browse.
- Once you select a title, you can also see which lists contain your selected title. Just click on Lists with This Book.
In addition to bookstore websites such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble, another way to discover new African-American fiction is to check out publisher websites. If you like urban fiction, this is a great way to identify new titles and authors. There are many publishers that specialize in urban fiction such as Triple Crown Publications, Urban Books, and Melodrama Publishing. These websites feature books by a number of African-American authors that may be of interest to you. In addition, the website StreetFiction.org provides an extensive list of urban fiction authors and publishers. It also features author interviews and book reviews so you can keep up with the latest in the genre. Happy reading!