A Book Signing with Roe Bonner

Author Roe Bonner with a fan.
I really like being a librarian and my inspiration for becoming one was my love of books. Author signings, visits, and conferences are always exciting because I learn about authors and hear their stories. On May 26, the West End Branch Library had an author signing with former radio personality Roosevelt “Roe” Bonner. Roe was the DJ at WENN Radio, which was owned by A.G. Gaston, from 1978-1996. His book, Behind the Mic: The Rise and Fall of Personality Radio recounts his years as an employee at WENN.

During the book signing, Roe talked about famous people and musicians he met while working at WENN. He spoke so well and eloquently about his book that I wanted to read it immediately. Several people bought the book that day and he gave my co-worker and me a signed copy. When I took the book home that evening and put it in the living room, my mother asked what it was and I told her. I was cooking dinner when my mother started laughing. She was reading Roe's book and was enjoying it. We read a chapter together and laughed. Not everything in this book is humorous, but all the stories are interesting and some are quite insightful. Behind the Mic: The Rise and Fall of Personality Radio is not a long book, but it is a very informative and enjoyable read for adults.

Maya Jones
West End Branch Library

Comments