|A Crunk Fitness class at Railroad Park.|
Photo credit: Lynsey Weatherspoon
There is more to exercise than just losing weight. Do you often feel tired, lack energy, stressed, having sleepless nights? Well, if so, I have the perfect solution for all of these symptoms: exercise!
The benefits of regular exercise are enormous and hard to ignore. It doesn’t matter the age or sex, we all can benefit from exercise and physical activities. The only drawback is getting permission from your doctor if you have chronic health issues or haven’t exercised for a long time.
Here are some quick and long lasting benefits of regular exercise:
- As you start burning calories for fuel, you get an almost immediate mood boost.
- Exercise and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently.
- Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Just don't exercise too close to bedtime, or you may be too energized to fall asleep.
- Regular physical activity can leave you feeling energized and looking better, which may have a positive effect on your sex life.
- One of the most common mental benefits of exercise is stress relief. Working up a sweat can help manage physical and mental stress.
- Regular physical activity boosts memory and ability to learn new things.
The city is equipped with various ventures to exercise:
- Railroad Park offers free daily fitness classes
- Various recreation centers offer free exercise classes
- Birmingham is known for its various walking trails
- Personal trainers
- Various work out facilities and programs
This list too, can go on and on. It doesn’t matter where you go; the benefits are just too good to pass up.
The Public Libraries in Jefferson County offer a wide range of exercise books, audiobooks, and DVDs for check out to help jump start or maintain a healthier lifestyle.
Powderly Branch Library