During the hot summer months of June, July, and August, it is vitally important to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. You may have to force yourself sometimes to do it, like I do, but make drinking water a normal part of your daily routine. It is recommended that the average adult drink 8 to 10 eight ounce glasses of water a day. There are several positive benefits of drinking water. Here are the top 10 health benefits of drinking an adequate amount of water:
- Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue – Drinking water helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted.
- Promotes Weight Loss – Drinking plenty of water reduces food intake if consumed prior to meals. It reduces hunger, raises your metabolism and has zero calories.
- Flushes Out Toxins – Water gets rid of waste through sweat and urination which reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTI’s (urinary tract infections).
- Improves Skin Complexion – Drinking water helps to moisturize your skin giving you a soft, smooth glowing complexion. Water also helps to get rid of wrinkles. It’s the best anti-aging treatment around!
- Maintains Regularity – Drinking water improves the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. It aids in digestion and prevents constipation.
- Boosts Immune System – A heavy water drinker is less likely to get sick. Drinking plenty of water helps fight against the flu, cancer, and other ailments like heart attacks.
- Natural Headache Remedy – Water helps to relieve headaches and back pains which are commonly caused by dehydration.
- Prevents Cramps & Sprains - Proper hydration helps keep joints lubricated and muscles more elastic so joint pain is less likely.
- Puts one in a Good Mood – Feeling down in the dumps? Drink more water. It helps the body function at its best, which will make you will feel better and improve your overall mood.
- Relieves Hangover- Drinking water works as a simple yet effective way to get rid of hangover. Water helps rehydrate the body and speed up recovery.
Remember to drink plenty of water this summer for a healthier, hydrated you.
Five Points West Regional Branch Library