A Day in the Life of a Librarian @BPL: Caitlin Jackson

 

Central Library Youth Librarian Caitlyn Jackson dressed up during Halloween 2019.

Caitlin Jackson has been a professional librarian for two years at the Central Library in downtown Birmingham. 


In a short Q & A with BPL Public Relations Director Roy L. Williams, Jackson described what a typical day is like serving as a librarian in the Central Library’s youth department. 

BPL: What inspired you to become a librarian? 

Jackson: I have worked in a library on and off as a volunteer since high school. I also enjoy sharing knowledge, which fits perfectly in providing youth and teen programming. Being a librarian allows me to provide programs on a diversity of topics! 

BPL: What do you do on a typical day? 

Jackson: On a typical day: I pull the holds list in the morning, so that we can send out books to any branches. I also shelve incoming books. I answer any reference questions for the Youth Department and sometimes ALS. I supervise a VISTA student worker from UAB and coordinate with local schools for STEM programming. I research and work on new programs that can act as outreach for youth. Lastly, I alternate working on book and window displays, collection management, and book inventory lists.

BPL: What do you enjoy most about being a librarian? 

Jackson: My favorite part of being a librarian is what I call the "connection" moment. It's the moment when I can connect a patron to what they are looking for whether it is a book, database, or program. I enjoy being able to give that person a small moment of joy.

Comments