A Day in the Life of a Librarian @BPL: Mary Beth Newbill

Mary Beth Newbill, head of BPL's Southern History Department.

Mary Beth Newbill has been an employee at the Birmingham Public Library for 24 years, including 21 years as a professional librarian.

In a Q & A with BPL Public Relations Director Roy L. Williams, she described what a typical day is like heading BPL’s Southern History Department in this post Covid-19 environment.

BPL: What inspired you to become a librarian and what year/where did you get your librarian degree?

Newbill: I loved the idea of helping people with their research. I got my MLIS (Masters in Library Information Studies) from the University of Alabama in 1999.

BPL: What do you do on a typical day?

Newbill: Most days, I start by answering emails. Patrons can email us with reference questions and requests for lookups in books and city directories. This is especially important now, since our hours are limited, and many people are still not traveling. I also respond to requests for obituaries in the local newspapers. 

We have an index to obituaries that covers most of the 20th century and patrons from all over the world request them from us. Patrons who visit in person often need help locating books, clipping files, using the databases, and the microfilm scanners. I also update the Southern History Department's Facebook page and submit articles to the library's blog.

BPL: What do you enjoy most about being a librarian? 

Newbill: I really love using my knowledge of our collection to locate information for people and, hopefully, make their research easier. I also love working with our rare and unique books, maps, and atlases. I am humbled and honored to be tasked with their care and it's a privilege to share them with people.


Comments