Four Weeks of Chair Yoga with Coach Tru: What I Learned About Slowing Down

 


4 Weeks of Chair Yoga with Coach Tru: A First-Person Experience at Birmingham Public Library

By Roy L. Williams | Public Relations Specialist, Birmingham Public Library

Four weeks ago, I walked into the Birmingham Public Library with a camera in my hand and no idea what to expect from Chair Yoga.

Last Thursday, August 27, I completed my fourth and final class of the five-week series with instructor Jaynea “Coach Tru” Milhouse.

I missed one class because of a work conflict, so while the series continued for five weeks, I personally experienced four sessions.

And somewhere along the way, I learned something I wasn't expecting.

Sometimes slowing down is exactly what we need.

Lesson No. 1: You Don't Have to Be Good at It

When I started Chair Yoga, I was a complete beginner.

Flexibility has never been my strength. Neither has balance.

Over the four weeks, there were stretches I couldn't quite reach and movements that challenged me more than I expected.

But Coach Tru never made me feel like I was competing with anyone else.

Her message was simple: meet your body where it is.

That changed the way I approached the classes.

I stopped worrying about whether I could do a movement perfectly and started concentrating on simply doing what I could.

Lesson No. 2: Breathing Really Does Make a Difference

Every class began with Coach Tru encouraging us to close our eyes, clear our minds and focus on our breathing.

At first, it seemed simple.

Take a deep breath.

Let it out.

Repeat.

But after a few classes, I began to understand why she emphasized it so much.

I spend much of my workday writing, answering emails, taking photographs, preparing for interviews and moving from one assignment to the next.

Chair Yoga gave me permission to stop.

For one hour, I didn't have to think about the next deadline.

I just had to breathe.

Lesson No. 3: Balance Is About More Than Standing on One Leg

During one of the classes, Coach Tru challenged us to stand behind our chairs and balance on one leg.

Let's just say balance isn't my superpower.

I struggled.

I held onto the chair.

I tried again.

I lost my balance.

But Coach Tru reminded us not to compare ourselves with anyone else.

“Be you.”

That lesson stayed with me.

Balance isn't just something we practice physically. We also need balance in our everyday lives — between work and home, responsibilities and personal time, and the demands of life and taking care of ourselves.

That may have been one of the most valuable lessons I took away from the entire series.

Lesson No. 4: It's OK to Slow Down

Perhaps the biggest lesson I learned during these four weeks was also the simplest.

It's OK to slow down.

In a world that constantly tells us to move faster, accomplish more and stay busy, Chair Yoga gave me an hour each week to do the opposite.

Slow down.

Breathe.

Stretch.

Relax.

Be present.

By the end of each class, I felt more relaxed than when I walked through the door.

And I began to appreciate that wellness isn't always about how hard you can work your body.

Sometimes wellness is about giving your body — and your mind — a chance to rest.

More Than a Workout

My four weeks with Coach Tru also gave me another perspective on what Birmingham Public Library can be.

Libraries are places where people come to read, learn, use technology, attend programs and connect with their communities.

They can also be places where people take care of themselves.

Chair Yoga is one example.

Birmingham Public Library also offers wellness opportunities such as Chair Aerobics, Tai Chi, line dancing and programs focused on mental and emotional well-being.

I've now experienced two of those programs from the participant's side.

And I understand them differently because I did more than photograph them.

I participated.

My Challenge to You

My hope is that more people throughout the Birmingham Public Library system will take advantage of the free wellness programs available at our libraries.

Chair Yoga is one option.

There are also Chair Aerobics, Tai Chi, line dancing and other opportunities to get moving and connect with your community.

And wellness isn't just about physical health.

Birmingham Public Library also offers programs such as the monthly Self Care Mastermind, giving patrons opportunities to focus on their mental and emotional well-being.

I've spent the past month discovering that taking care of yourself doesn't have to mean running miles, lifting weights or spending hours in a gym.

Sometimes it means sitting in a chair.

Closing your eyes.

Taking a deep breath.

And giving yourself permission to let go — for just a little while.

That's what four weeks of Chair Yoga taught me.

And I'm glad I pulled up a chair.

To find more dance, yoga and aerobics classes at the Birmingham Public Library, follow the BPL calendar at https://www.cobpl.org/calendar/


Comments