Winter Weather Safety

by Maya Jones, West End Branch Library


I was born in Wisconsin. When I was six years old I moved to the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina where I lived for the next 20 years. Winter weather has always been a part of my life. The winter weather with its ice and snow last week reminded me of a tragic incident in my family. In 2000 my first cousin died in Nebraska and the culprits were black ice and not wearing a seat belt.

My cousin had decided to visit a friend in Las Vegas to celebrate the new millennium. In order to save money, he bought a one-way ticket and decided to ride back to Wisconsin with friends. My cousin was driving, without wearing his seat belt, when he hit a patch of black ice, lost control of the car, and died at age 27. The other passenger in the front seat was not wearing a seat belt and he also died.

We are still in the month of January and winter doesn’t end until Tuesday, March 20, 2018. We could still see more winter weather and I urge everyone to drive carefully. To this end, I’ve put together a few website resources on winter weather driving. Stay safe, everyone.

AAA has a website for winter driving tips and a whole section dedicated to safety.

MyCarDoesWhat.org will explain all of the safety features in your car, so that you can be safe on the road. Watch the video “Traction Control” that explains this safety feature in car that can help you stay safe during winter driving.

NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Administration) has a website dedicated to Winter Driving Tips.

NSC (National Safety Council) is a nonprofit that focuses on safety issues. Check out their website and specifically look at “Be Prepared for Winter Driving”.

OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) has a page with winter driving tips that talks about the 3 P’s: prepare, protect and prevent.

Comments