Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Words to Live by for 2015
The year 2015 is already upon us. Many of us have made New Year resolutions that will only last the first week in January. I thought that it would be fun to list some interesting “Words of Wisdom” to live by for the new year instead of trying to maintain certain New Year's resolutions that most of us probably won’t keep. I have always enjoyed reading thought-provoking quotes. With that in mind, I have put together a list of ten of my favorite quotes about love, life, faith, philosophy, and wisdom as powerful words to live by for 2015.
10. “A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read.” (Mark Twain)
9. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” (Socrates)
8. “Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.” (Colin Powell)
7. “Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.” (Billy Sunday)
6. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” (Martin Luther King)
5. God has given us two hands—one to receive with and the other to give with. We are not cisterns made for hoarding; we are channels made for sharing.” (Billy Graham)
4. “The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.” (Mahatma Gandhi)
3. “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” (William Shakespeare)
2. “The will of God will not take us where the grace of God cannot sustain us.” (Billy Graham)
1. Faith is not the denial of facts but the recognition of a greater truth. (Unknown)
If you enjoy reading quotes as much as I do, check out this interesting website and Happy New Year!
Five Points West Library
By Tressa at January 13, 2015
Wayne Wiegand What: Author talk with Wayne S. Wiegand about his book The Desegregation of Public Libraries in the Jim Crow South: Civil...
Birmingham Bound: Author Talk and Book Signing with Melanie S. Morrison on April 24 at Avondale LibraryWhat: Author talk and book signing for Murder on Shades Mountain: The Legal Lynching of Willie Peterson and the Struggle for Justice in ...
The NBA Playoffs tip off this weekend. For the past three years, the NBA Playoffs simply served as a preamble to an NBA Finals mat...
Being puzzled may not be a good thing, but in this instance it may be. I live with a self-described “puzzlephile,” who enjoys puzzles on the...
Celebrate with us April 30-May 6! As part of the longest-running national celebration of books for young people and the joy of reading,...