Fantasy Writer Robert Jordan Dead at 58

robert jordan1948 - 2007

Sunday was a sad day for Wheel of Time fans. The popular Robert Jordan succumbed to primary amyloidosis with cardiomyopathy, a blood disease that caused the walls of his heart to thicken. He is survived by his wife and son.

A native of South Carolina, Jordan felt that his southern background flavored his books: "What I write is certainly not set in South Carolina, but I have had a number of reviewers comment on the fact that I write with a distinct southern voice. It goes beyond more than simply where the story is set. I believe it is something we take in in the air and the water. It’s a matter of word choices — of the rhythms of sentences and the rhythm of speech in particular."

Although Jordan was a prolific writer using several pseudonyms (his real name was James Oliver Rigney, Jr.), he is most famous for his Wheel of Time series. WoT is an intricately detailed series set in a land where two magics exist: male and female. The hero Rand al’thor is on a quest to unite the diverse people of his planet against the Dark One. (Simplistic summary for such a complex series, I know, but I called my husband who is a fan of the series and asked him to sum up the series in two sentences and he laughed. I was on my own.)

Jordan was working on book 12 of the series when he died. The working title of the last book is Memory of Light. Word from Jordan’s blog is that the last book was finished before his death, and that his family plans on publishing it per his wishes.

Links:

To read more about Robert Jordan's life and achievements, visit our Biography Resource Center

Comments