Children's Book Review: Knock Knock: My Dad's Dream for Me (Ages 3-6)

Knock Knock: My Dad’s Dream for Me 
Daniel Beaty
Illustrated by Bryan Collier

Knock Knock: My Dad’s Dream for Me was awarded the Coretta Scott King illustrator award. The story is taken from a child’s point of view. Every morning he plays a game with his father. The young boy looks forward to their daily ritual. Then one morning the knock doesn’t come. He waits for his father to help him get ready for school and cook his favorite dish of scrambled eggs. As the young boy grows into adolescence he thinks, “Maybe he comes when I’m not home.” So, he writes his father a letter, letting him know how much he misses him. He wants his father to come home because there were so many things he needed to learn. He always thought his father would be there to teach him how to shave, drive a car, and dribble a basketball.

This book deals with the loss children feel due to the absence of a parent. Read Knock Knock to see how the young boy develops without his father.

Here is Daniel Beaty's spoken word performance of Knock Knock:



Felita Y. Hawkins
East Lake Library

Comments

Kate Teves said…
Hi! I just read this book and was completely blown away by it. It took a couple of reads to really absorb it but once it got into my heart, it really shook me to my core. Such a profound children's book. Happy to see you giving it a shoutout here. Cheers, Kate