Meet Birmingham Public Library Young Professionals Board Member Tonorey Callins

The Young Professionals of the Birmingham Public Library celebrate the rich history and prosperous future of Birmingham's oldest cultural institution. The Young Professionals support the Library financially and culturally and promote its remarkable treasures. By hosting dynamic lectures, special collection tours, and other social events and by volunteering time and skills, the Young Professionals increase public awareness of and access to the Library's resources.

BPLYP Tonorey Callins

What is your full name, age, and occupation? Tonorey Bishop Callins, 27, Development Assistant at Red Mountain Theatre Company.

What is your favorite place to eat in Birmingham? Slice.

Why did you get involved with the BPLYP? I have always spent a lot of time in the library including spending my summer breaks volunteering at the Five Points West Library as a kid. So when the opportunity arose for me to give back to the library as a young professional, I had to take it.

Which is your favorite (or most frequented) library branch? Springville Road.

Name some of your favorite books as a child or teenager. Black, White and Jewish by Rebecca Walker, The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, White Oleander by Janet Fitch, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

What genres do you read the most as an adult? Biography, Historical Fiction.

Who are some of your favorite authors? Alice Walker and Toni Morrison have always been my favorites, but since I have been reading a lot of biographies lately, it varies.

What is your wish for the city of Birmingham? To continue to grow and prosper as one of the country's most emerging cities.

Do you have a special talent? If so, what is it? I do praise dance at my church, but I'm not sure if that counts as a talent.

What is your favorite quote or inspirational saying? I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Comments