New Year, New Us with BPL: A Primer on Astrology

 

Want to learn more about astrology? Read this blog by Jo Bridges of the Central Library and check out books from the Birmingham Public Library and other Jefferson County Library Cooperative members.

Hey y’all, it is Jo Bridges again from the Central Library downtown.

As we begin this new year, let's be grateful that we made it through this past one. Just  as the last two years (and honestly, every single one before that), many of us have experienced a lot of hardships in our lives. And if we are lucky, we overcame most of them. 

For me, I was a pre-anxiety-filled wreck during my final semester of college at the beginning of the COVID pandemic in 2020. I caught COVID, I did not grieve family deaths that year, and it was upsetting that graduation commencement was postponed.

After college, I was unsure about my future career-wise. To be truthful, I had no idea what my next steps in life would be. I had lost my vision and hope.

But here I am now: an indisputable college graduate and VISTA  member working more towards my future with this volunteer experience. There are vaccines for COVID that I took advantage of.

Technically, I have not walked the stage for commencement – yet. (Auburn University, please have your people reach out to my people.) 

And sure enough, my anxiety is still here. But I’m overcoming it by going to therapy, and I have processed the losses within my family. The spark to follow my career dreams is coming back. I have regained some hope I lost that I thought were gone forever. 

Although our lives are not the same, we are all human beings, and we can understand blessings and pain alike. The best thing that has helped me so far is the advice from my therapist: I must learn more about myself now to manifest what I want in my future. And looking into astrology has been a friendly guide for me so far. 

If you are not familiar with astrology: it is an ancient, multi-cultural, and vast study of how celestial bodies (planets, moons, stars, and other galaxies) can forecast human nature, our natural affairs, and supernatural events while on Earth. It is claimed that the moment we are born, the fixation of planets and stars has spelled out our personalities, desires, dislikes, and even our fate. 
I am sure that we all know a Capricorn who is ambitious, responsible, and sometimes even too stubborn to follow their dreams. However, beyond the basics, a person can have a Rising, Moon, Venus, and other placements in different zodiac houses (the 12 zodiac signs that make up the aspects of human life).

Although the zodiac and astrology are different, they rely on each other and usually create our daily horoscopes. And even in mysterious ways, astrology can closely predict your entire life. (Look into astrologer R. H. Naylor foreseeing the life of Princess Maragaret [the last sister of Queen Elizabeth II] born in 1930 from the United Kingdom.) 

Sure enough, being skeptical about astrology is allowed as it is not pure science, but it is highly intuitive. To be clear, I am not saying that people who believe in this study constantly listen to the shift of winds. Instead, we observe our surroundings, heed signs provided by the universe, and obey our unconscious minds or dreams for pressing messages. (I’m sure that you often hear that a planet is in retrograde and how it’s going to affect someone.) 

Learning about my past, present, and future through astrology has helped me acknowledge which paths I should follow in life. Ultimately, it has given me more confidence in myself and some insight into others, and I look forward to the future. I’m manifesting that great things are bound to happen. 

If you’re interested in astrology and its mystical wonders, here is a short list of books presently located throughout the BPL system and fellow Jefferson County Library Cooperative member libraries.












Astrology: A Cosmic Science (Isabel M. Hickey) 









Astrology and Divination (Robert Michael Place)










By Jo Bridges|Central Library Arts/Literature/Sports Department

Comments