- Don’t save your logon information. Make sure that when you are done with your session, you LOG OUT of any website. It isn’t enough to close your Internet browser or application. There are many programs, especially browsers and networking sites, that keep you logged in or have automatic features that save your username and password.
- Do not leave your computer unattended, especially with sensitive information available for others to see. If you must leave your seat, make sure you log out of all programs and close all windows.
- Do not save your username and password on the computer. When you are surfing through the Web, make sure features that remember your passwords are turned off. You can do so in the settings or tools of your browser.
- Make sure to always delete your browsing history. These can help protect your private information.
- Be alert. Watch for those looking over your shoulder or those beside you. Protect your personal belongings and your private information. Think twice about using a credit card or revealing anything with sensitive information, like your social security number or address.
Farah A. Ferguson