The Jefferson County Public Library Association (JCPLA) awarded 11 recipients with its 2016 Library Champion Award during its annual holiday luncheon at the Florentine Building in downtown Birmingham, Alabama, on Tuesday, December 6, 2016.
The purpose of the luncheon is to recognize the outstanding achievements of volunteers and community partners. The Library Champion Award is presented annually by JCPLA. The award recognizes an individual or organization that has made a significant contribution(s) to libraries and/or librarianship in Jefferson County, Alabama.
The honorees are as follows:
Birmingham Public Library
- Eastern Region: Sam Rumore, former BPL Board of Trustee member
- Avondale Regional Branch Library: Marco Morosini, owner of Silvertron Cafe
- West End Regional Branch Library: Birmingham City Councilwoman Sheila Tyson
- North Birmingham and Springville Road Regional Branch Libraries: Pet Supplies Plus Store # 8009 in Roebuck.
- Central Library: Pat Rumore
- Homewood Public Library: Fran Jones
- Hoover Public Library: Former Hoover Council President Jack Wright
- Leeds Public Library: Martha Hurst
- Emmet O'Neal Public Library: Lynda Weaver
- Pinson Public Library: Stanley Moss
- Vestavia Hills Library in the Forest: Virginia A. Procter
|George Stewart and Mary Anne Ellis, librarian in the Southern |
History Department at the Central Library
Stewart's career spanned 33 years with the Birmingham Public Library System and an additional four years as director of the Jefferson County Library Cooperative. He was a mentor to many at BPL and remains active at BPL as a map consultant in the Southern History Department in the Linn-Henley Research Library.