Save the Money and Do-It-Yourself


So last year my daughter requested a room makeover as a birthday gift and I immediately thought to myself, Wow this is going to be overwhelming and very time consuming. I also thought, Maybe I should just pay someone to do this and save myself the hassle. My daughter says, “It’ll be fun, let’s do it ourselves.” Surprisingly so, this project turned out to be one of the best Do-It-Yourself projects we’ve completed, thus far, as a family.

We took this project, broke it down into phases, and tackled each phase a day at a time. I checked out all of the books I could on how to paint, hide wires, and assemble furniture as I accumulated all the necessary accessories we would need to be successful. After three full days of hammering, screwing, and measuring we had accomplished a beautiful room that was unique to her 11-year-old personality and style.

We saved money, and in the process, took advantage of family time and togetherness. She loves the new, improved room, so I think we will take a vacation with all the extra cash we saved. Happy Hammering!

Check out these resources from your local library:

Sweet and Dreamy Room: DIY Projects for a Cozy Bedroom by Heather Wutschke
DIY Bedroom Decor: 50 Awesome Ideas for Your Room by Tana Smith
Painting for Dummies by Katharine Kaye McMillan and Patricia Hart McMillan

Submitted by Alisha Johnson, Pratt City Branch Library

Comments