Q & A With Author Kimberla Lawson Roby


 

The Birmingham Public Library Local Authors Committee is hosting author Kimberla Lawson Roby on Tuesday, October 27, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. on the Birmingham Public Library’s Facebook page.  

 Roy L. Williams, BPL’s public relations director, recently conducted a Q & A with the New York Times best-selling author of 28 books. 

In the interview, Roby gave insight into what viewers can expect during next week’s virtual talk, entitled “The Woman God Created You to Be.” Click here for more information on the event https://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/2020/10/bpl-local-author-spotlight-meet-author.html 

BPL: Tell me about “The Woman God Created You to Be,” your virtual discussion taking place on the BPL Facebook Page at 6 p.m. next Tuesday, October 27?

Roby: On the night of the event, I’ll be speaking about my overall writing and publishing journey, along with personal experiences, reading a short excerpt, and then answering any questions the audience might have.

BPL: What inspired you to become an author and write your first book 25 years ago? 

Roby: While I have always loved writing, even as a child, writing books was never a lifelong dream of mine. So it wasn’t until 1995 that I realized there was this void so to speak in my work life, which prompted me to pray for direction. Shortly after, I sat down to write my first book entitled Behind Closed Doors. 

BPL: You have built a name as a provider of inspirational encouragement for women. What led you to focus on helping women through your books?

Roby: As I continued to write my novels, specifically the last few, along with writing my first nonfiction book, I focused a lot more on growing my relationship with God, as well as on discovering my true purpose, which is to help women become all God has created them to be. 

BPL: What advice do you have for women- both younger ones like my 21-year-old daughter as well as older women?

Roby: My advice to women of all ages is to pray for God to show you what your purpose is because the sooner you know what that is, the better off you’ll be. Ask God to confirm to you why He placed you on this earth to begin with, so that you can fully become the amazing woman He created you to be in all areas of your life — spiritually, personally, and professionally.

BPL: You have written 27 fictional titles and one motivational book - is one more difficult than the other?

Roby: I wouldn’t necessarily say one is more difficult to write than the other, but writing nonfiction is definitely a much different process in comparison to creating fictional characters and storylines. Also, for me, writing my nonfiction book required me to share and relive a number of painful life experiences, including the devastating loss of my mom. 

Additionally, I shared not only about my accomplishments and successes, but also about my flaws, fears, and failures. So that, in and of itself, made for a totally different writing experience altogether.  

BPL: Working on any other new books? 

Roby: No, right now, I am fully focusing on The Woman God Created You to Be, but maybe in 2021. 

BPL: What words of wisdom people can expect during your event on October 27 — both women and men? 

 Roby: I will be sharing my overall personal and professional experiences, which I hope will encourage, inspire, and motivate both men and women on many different levels. 

BPL: My wife and I celebrate our 30th anniversary next year. Any advice for men like me trying to rediscover my wife this year as entered empty nester phase with both kids in college? 

Roby: Congratulations on being married almost 30 years. This is such a milestone. Ironically, my husband, Will, and I just celebrated 30 years of marriage last month, and we have really enjoyed looking back over all the wonderful years we’ve been together. So my advice is to take this time to reflect, refocus, and prepare for not just a new normal, but a much better normal.

Figure out what really makes your wife happy, what makes you happy, and what makes the two of you happy as a married couple. Rediscover each other, remember how short life truly is, and enjoy each other to the fullest.

BPL: Any closing remarks? 

Roby: My overall advice to every human being alive is to do this: “Believe in God, believe in yourself, believe in whatever it is you are trying to accomplish…believe in that order.” This is my own personal quote and doing all three things—in that order—is what has made all the difference in my life.

Comments