Why I’m Thankful for My Library: Patron Jan Roper at Central Library



Count Jan Roper of Birmingham among the many patrons thankful that the Central Library has reopened.

A few weeks after the Central Library began offering in-person services on October 1, Roper visited to use one of the public computers. 

Roper acknowledges she is not computer savvy and called BPL’s Education Training Coordinator Maurice Harley “my life saver.” Harley was among employees featured when The Atlantic magazine did a national spotlight on BPL's  free computer workshops. 

“Maurice was my knight in shining armor,” Roper said. “He helped me download a form I needed and sent it to a government agency for me. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without him, and am forever grateful.”

Roper, 71, says she is a longtime user of BPL. While living in Roebuck several years ago, Roper used to take her children regularly to the East Lake Branch Library. In recent years, she has been a regular patron of the Avondale Regional Branch Library.

“In the middle of a pandemic, I consider libraries to be essential venues,” Roper said. “My children and grandchildren used the Birmingham Public Library to do research for their school work and to take advantage of free Wi-Fi. I am so grateful that the Central Library is open again, and hope more will open in the near future.”

Comments