Build Your Own PC

Inside of PC

Is it time to upgrade your PC?  "As of April 8, 2014, support and updates for Windows XP are no longer available."-windows.microsoft.com.  Does it take forever for programs to load on your machine?  Is it hard for you to find a PC that has the specific components you want?  How about building your own?

I know you may think it’s too complicated to build your own PC, but every PC has a few basic components:
  • Motherboard
  • Processor
  • Power Supply
  • Memory (RAM)
  • Hard Drive
  • Optical Drive (CD, DVD drive)
  • Operating System (e.g. Windows 8)
  • Video card (may be optional)
  • Case (Duh, unless you want dust on everything)
Online retailers such as Newegg.com and TigerDirect.com actually sell PC combos that come with everything you need to build a desktop PC, except the operating system.  Newegg.com even features a video series which shows you step-by-step how to build a computer.  It is very straightforward and extremely helpful.  Keep in mind, though, building a computer is not like putting together a television stand with written instructions.  You will have to figure some things out on your own or seek help from another source like these videos.  


Once you build your own PC, you will spend all your free time thinking of ways to enhance and upgrade it.  You will become addicted to websites that sell computer components and eagerly await the sales flyers and newsletters you receive through e-mail.  Every time you see something faster, cooler, and more powerful, you will have to talk yourself out of buying it to upgrade your PC.  It may just be me, but I know there’s at least one other person out there.

Keep in mind, while you’re building your PC, that if it gets a good dose of static electricity from your body, it will fry your motherboard like bacon.  The simplest solution is to make a little hat out of aluminum foil.  Wait, that's to keep the aliens from hearing my thoughts.  Anyway, just be careful.  I was very reluctant to build my own PC, but once I did, I couldn’t believe I had waited so long.  I'd like to thank my mentor who received a lot of phone calls during my project.

Comments