The Birmingham Public Library (BPL) now offers a greatly expanded package of the Mango Languages online language-learning system to patrons.
Mango is free to all BPL patrons and can be accessed anywhere with an Internet connection. Each lesson combines real life situations and audio from native speakers with simple, clear instructions. The courses are presented with an appreciation for cultural nuance and real-world application by focusing on the four key elements of language learning: vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, and culture.
Mango now offers access to:
- 60 foreign language courses
- 17 English courses taught completely in the user’s native language
- the opportunity to learn through foreign film with Mango Premiere™
- a variety of specialty mini courses, like Pirate, Medical Spanish, romance courses, and many more
Mango can be accessed at the library, remotely, or even on-the-go with apps for iPhone®, Android™, Kindle®, and Nook®. Stay tuned for more information on how to accomplish this!
Quick Tip: How do I sign up for Mango on my computer?
There are two ways to access Mango:
From home (remotely)
1. Go to www.bplonline.org.
2. Click on the Mango icon under Spotlight.
3. Click on Mango Languages.
4. Enter BPL card number and PIN for authentication.
5. You will now be directed to the Mango login page, where you can log in or create a profile with your e-mail address and password.
Inside the library
1. Follow “from home” directions above.
2. You will not be asked for your BPL card number.
3. You will now be directed to the Mango login page, where you can log in or create a profile with your e-mail address and password.
BPL card holders can access Mango through the library website at bplonline.org. For more information, contact Carrie Campbell at 205-226-3679.