Fiction Book Review: No Exit

by Shea Robinson, Fiction Department, Central Library

No Exit
Taylor Adams

Mom, if you find this message on my phone, something happened to me. I’m trapped overnight at a rest stop as I write this, and one of the people here might be dangerous. I hope I’m just being paranoid. But if I’m not…just know that I’m sorry for everything. All the things I said and did to you. I’m sorry about our phone call on Thanksgiving. You don’t deserve any of that. Mom, I love you so much. And I’m so sorry.

Love, Darby.

This is a story about someone pulled into a dangerous situation by chance. This is a story about someone who decides not to remain on the sidelines.

A college student traveling home to see her mother, Darby Thorne becomes stranded overnight at a rest area due to weather conditions. She discovers a girl caged in the back of a vehicle in the parking lot. One of the four other travelers has abducted a child. Lacking cell service, viable escape route, or any clue regarding who to trust, Darby repeatedly risks her life to save this girl and make an escape.

While all of her decisions may not be the right ones, it’s difficult to find fault in the choices she makes due to the nature of her predicament. Life-or-death situations are messy and can lead to judgment calls that are neither right nor wrong. They are often simply the result of quick thinking, instinct, and an immense measure of hope. As the villain states, “Protecting others, doing the right thing, was an instinct for her, whether she knew it or not.” Darby is far from perfect, but it’s not difficult to root for her character.

The pacing of No Exit is perfect, with no dull spots or lagging between each newly uncovered truth and turn. It wasn’t my intention to complete this book within a day, but the story increasingly occupied my mind every time I put it down. And as any avid reader knows, the “just one more chapter” adage can often easily result in a promptly finished book. If you’re looking for a suspense thriller that contains a skillful mixture of both action and psychological tension, this novel is a great pick.

Comments