Free Tax Prep Assistance and Forms at Birmingham Public Library
As a service to the community, the Birmingham Public Library provides some paper copies of current federal and Alabama tax forms, instructions, and publications at the Central Library. Please check back for updates about which forms are available. Update 1/28: Federal forms/instruction booklets for 1040 and 1040-SR are now available at Central's Citizen Services desk (205-226-3705) Alabama tax forms have not arrived yet.Federal Forms
IRS forms and publications
Alabama Department of Revenue
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) – This governmental site has United States federal income tax forms, information, and tips. Includes warnings about tax frauds and scams, information about filling online, and the ability to track the status of your refund.
Free File Home: Your Link to Free Online Filing – This IRS site is about Free File, an "online tax preparation and electronic filing through a partnership agreement between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, LLC. In other words, you can e-file...free." This site explains eligibility requirements for this free service, steps to get started, and a list of related FAQs.
Free Tax Return Preparation For You by Volunteers – The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $56,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
Free Tax Prep Assistance at the Birmingham Public Library
Avondale Library is partnering with AARP to offer free tax prep services. Drop taxes off on Tuesday and pick up on Thursday. An intake form and short interview is necessary.
- When: Tuesdays, Thursdays, February 8 - April 12.
- Where: Avondale Library | 509 40th St. S, Birmingham, AL 35222
- What: Free tax prep | Call to schedule. 205-226-4000. Mask required for assistance.
Five Points West Library is partnering with VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) to offer free tax prep services.
- When: Saturdays 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Where: Five Points West Library Meeting Room | 4812 Avenue W, Birmingham, AL 35208
- What: Free tax prep | No reservations. No phone calls. First come, first served. $54,000 income or less. Mask required for assistance.
Smithfield Branch Library is partnering with Impact Alabama to offer free tax prep services.
- When: Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Where: Smithfield Branch Library | 1 8th Ave W, Birmingham, AL 35204
- What: Free tax prep | Schedule your appointment today. Call 1-888-998-2925 to schedule an appointment.
Titusville Branch Library is partnering with Save First Tax Services to offer free tax prep services.
- When: Thursdays 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Where: Titusville Branch Library | 2 6th Ave SW, Birmingham, AL 35211
- What: Free tax prep | Schedule your appointment today. Call 1-888-998-2925 to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins are welcome.
Woodlawn Branch Library is partnering with AARP to offer free tax prep services.
- When: Mondays February 7 - April 11, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Where: Woodlawn Branch | 5709 1st Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35212
- What: Free tax prep | Schedule your appointment today. Call the Woodlawn Branch at 205-595-2001 to schedule an appointment.