Taking on Tai Chi at Pratt City Branch Library: My Next First-Person BPL Wellness Challenge
![]() |
| Pratt City Branch Library has a weekly Tai Chi class. Central Library has chair yoga on Thursdays through August 27 & North Birmingham Library hosts Slide City Chair Aerobics Wednesday-Friday. |
Written by Roy L. Williams, PR Specialist, Birmingham Public Library
I’ve traded my camera for an exercise ball at North Birmingham Regional Library, stretched my way through chair yoga at Central Library (next session with Coach Tru is today at 1 p.m.) and followed the beat through chair aerobics.
Now it’s time to try something new.
Next Wednesday, August 26, I’m stepping into the world of Tai Chi.
I’ll be participating in the Beginner Tai Chi for Seniors class at Pratt City Branch Library from 10:30–11:30 a.m., and I’ll be doing it for more than just the exercise.
I’m kicking off the next installment of my first-person BPL wellness series, where I don’t just tell you about a library program — I actually participate and tell you what it feels like to be on the other side of the program as a patron.
Next Stop: Tai Chi
Pratt City Branch Library introduced its Tai Chi program in June, and the response from patrons has been strong.
Certified instructor Candace “Candy” Shrum leads the class, which introduces beginners to simple, gentle movements in a welcoming environment. No previous Tai Chi experience is necessary, and accommodations can be made for participants with lower mobility.
Tai Chi combines slow, flowing movements with focused breathing and mindfulness. It is often described as “meditation in motion.”
That sounds peaceful.
But here’s the question: Can I actually do it?
That’s what I intend to find out. I’m Going From Observer to Participant
I’ve written about BPL programs from behind the camera and keyboard for years. At 61, I’ve decided it’s time to take my own wellness a little more seriously. I have been trying out some of Birmingham Public Library’s free wellness programs, including chair yoga and chair aerobics.
Those experiences have turned into stories about what it’s really like to walk into a BPL fitness program as someone who may not be an expert, may not know all the moves and may wonder whether he can actually keep up.
I’m writing as a BPL patron who is willing to try something new.
Next Wednesday at Pratt City Branch, I’ll follow Candy’s instructions, attempt the movements and see firsthand what a beginner’s Tai Chi class is really like.
And yes, I expect there may be a few moments when my body and my brain disagree about which direction I’m supposed to be moving.
I want readers who have never tried Tai Chi to be able to see themselves in the experience.
Maybe you’ve thought about trying it but were afraid you wouldn’t know what to do.
Maybe you think Tai Chi is only for people who are already flexible.
Or maybe, like me, you simply want to find another way to keep moving, improve your balance and flexibility and make wellness a regular part of your life.
Come Along With Me
Beginner Tai Chi for Seniors
When: Wednesday, August 26, 10:30–11:30 a.m.
Where: Pratt City Branch Library, 509 Dugan Ave., Birmingham, AL 35214
Instructor: Candace “Candy” Shrum, Certified Tai Chi Instructor
The class will also continue on Wednesdays in September.
When I participate next Wednesday, I’ll probably make a few mistakes.
And then I’ll tell you what it was really like.
Stay tuned for my first-person look at Tai Chi at Pratt City Branch Library.
Who knows?
By the end of the class, I may discover that I like Tai Chi after all.

Comments