Week 3 of Chair Yoga with Coach Tru at BPL: Learning to Stretch, Balance and Let Go

During August 20 Chair Yoga Class at downtown Birmingham Public Library, "Coach Tru" Jaynea Milhouse led Roy Williams & other participants in stretching and balancing exercises. The final session in the 5-week series is Thursday, August 27, 1-2 p.m.



Week 3 of Chair Yoga with Coach Tru at BPL: Learning to Stretch, Balance and Let Go

By Roy L. Williams
Public Relations Specialist, Birmingham Public Library

Next week, I’m trying something completely new. On Wednesday, Aug. 26, I’ll participate in my first-ever Tai Chi exercise class at Birmingham Public Library’s Pratt City Branch.

I needed a little preparation. So today, Thursday, Aug. 20, I returned to my third class of Birmingham Public Library’s five-week Chair Yoga series with Jaynea “Coach Tru” Milhouse at the downtown Birmingham Public Library, 2100 Park Place. The final class is on August 27.

Today’s class challenged me in ways the first two did not.

The first half felt familiar: gentle stretching, deep breathing and slow, controlled movements.

Then Coach Tru took us somewhere new.

And that's when things got interesting.

Discovery No. 1: Apparently, I Still Can't Touch My Feet

One of today's challenges was something I've struggled with for as long as I can remember: bending over and touching my feet.

I'm 61 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh about 192 pounds. I'm tall and lanky, with long legs and long arms.

You would think those long arms might help.

They don't.

I've never been particularly good at bending over and touching my feet during exercises.

Today, sitting in my chair, I decided to give it another shot.

I stretched.

And stretched.

And stretched some more.

Nope.

My fingers still weren't getting there.

Coach Tru provided exercise straps to help us extend our reach. I grabbed one and tried again.

Still a struggle.

But instead of becoming frustrated, I found myself laughing a little.

This wasn't about whether I could touch my toes. It was about seeing how far I could go without forcing my body beyond what it could safely do.


Discovery No. 2: Balance Is Not My Superpower

Then came the part that really tested me.

Balance.

Coach Tru had us stand behind our chairs and practice balancing on one leg.

For someone who has never counted balance as one of his strengths, this was going to be interesting.

I held onto the chair and lifted my left leg. Then Coach Tru added another challenge: twist the torso and reach one arm toward the ceiling.

Then, if we felt comfortable, try doing it without holding onto the chair.

I tried.

A few seconds later, I lost my balance.

I tried again.

Lost it again.

Then I tried the movement with my right arm.

Same thing.

Meanwhile, the two women participating alongside me seemed to be handling the exercise with considerably less drama.

I finally admitted to Coach Tru:

“Balancing is not my strong suit.”

She smiled.

And then came a lesson that had very little to do with yoga.

Discovery No. 3: Don't Compare Yourself to Anybody Else

Coach Tru reminded me not to compare myself to the other participants.

Be you.

That simple message stuck with me.

It's easy to look around a room and wonder why somebody else can do something you can't. But Coach Tru's point was that Chair Yoga isn't a competition.

It's about understanding where your body is today and working from there. It’s knowing your strengths and weaknesses, and being willing to challenge yourself.

So I closed my eyes and tried again.

I got better.

I still needed to hold onto the chair to keep my balance, but I was able to hold the position longer.

And that was good enough.

Coach Tru reminded us that there's nothing wrong with falling.

Just pick yourself up and try again.

Don't give up.

That may have been the most important exercise of the entire hour.



Discovery No. 4: Balance Isn't Just About Standing on One Leg

What I really enjoyed about today's class was how Coach Tru connected the physical exercises to everyday life.

While we were working on balance, she talked about the importance of finding balance in our lives.

Balance work and home.

Balance responsibilities with time for yourself.

Balance parenting and personal needs.

And perhaps most importantly, find ways to balance your mind when life becomes stressful.

That hit home for me.

I'm entering a difficult period on the calendar. September 11 will mark the 25th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of 2001, when my oldest brother, Army Major Dwayne Williams, was killed at the Pentagon.

As my family prepares to mark that anniversary, there are moments when the memories can feel especially heavy. Today's class reminded me that taking care of yourself doesn't mean ignoring those emotions. Sometimes it means giving yourself permission to breathe, pause and take some personal “me time.”

Throughout the class, Coach Tru encouraged us to close our eyes, breathe deeply and clear our minds of distractions. For those moments, there was nowhere else I needed to be.

Nothing else I needed to accomplish.

Just breathe.

Discovery No. 5: Am I Ready for Tai Chi?

Next Wednesday brings my next wellness challenge: Tai Chi.

On Wednesday, August 26 at 10:30 a.m., I'll participate in my first Tai Chi class at Birmingham Public Library's Pratt City Branch.

After today's experience, I feel a little more prepared.

Chair Yoga has taught me that I don't have to be the most flexible person in the room. I don't have to have perfect balance. And I don't have to compare myself with anyone else.

I simply have to show up, listen to my body and keep trying.

That's a pretty good lesson to carry into Tai Chi.

One More Chair Yoga Class

There is still one more week of Coach Tru's five-week Chair Yoga series.

The final class is Thursday, Aug. 27, from 1–2 p.m. at the Birmingham Public Library, 2100 Park Place.

If you've been thinking about trying it but haven't made it yet, I encourage you to give it a shot.

🧘 FREE CHAIR YOGA AT BIRMINGHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY

Relax • Breathe • Stretch • Renew

Location: Birmingham Public Library
2100 Park Place
Birmingham, AL 35203

Time: Final Class is next Thursday, August 27, 1–2 p.m.

Instructor: Jaynea “Coach Tru” Milhouse

Comments