Workout Thursday at Birmingham Public Library: A First-Person Experience of Chair Yoga & Chair Aerobics
Workout Thursday at Birmingham Public Library: A First-Person Experience
Two
very different workouts. One very busy Thursday.
By
Roy L. Williams
Public Relations Specialist, Birmingham Public Library
If you
want to get in shape—or simply find a way to relax—Thursday was the day to do
it at Birmingham Public Library.
I took
full advantage of it.
My
Thursday began at 9:30 a.m. at North Birmingham Regional Library, where
I joined about 40 other participants for my second experience with the popular Slide
City Chair Aerobics class.
It was
intense.
Four hours
later, at 1 p.m., I was sitting in a chair again—but this time, I was
slowing down instead of speeding up.
I joined
Week 3 of Jaynea "Coach Tru" Milhouse's five-week Chair Yoga
Series at the downtown Birmingham Public Library.
After the
morning workout, the Chair Yoga class came at exactly the right time.
I needed to chill.
And what a contrast it was.
| Over 40 people, mostly seniors between ages and 60 and 90, participated in Slide City Chair Aerobics. |
9:30 a.m.: Let's Get Moving
My day
started at North Birmingham Regional Library with Slide City Chair Aerobics.
After
months of photographing and recording the popular program—which regularly
attracts nearly 50 participants three mornings a week—I decided in July to
finally put down my camera and join the class.
I wrote
about that first experience in my blog, "A First-Person Look at Slide
City Chair Aerobics at North Birmingham Regional Library."
This time, however, the class was led by Karnecia Williams, North Birmingham Regional Library's branch manager.
And let me tell you: Instructor Karnecia is all business.
After a
few short stretching exercises, she launched us into an intense 25-minute
workout.
We kicked.
We
punched.
We moved
our arms.
We stood
up and exercised beside and behind our chairs.
And we
kept moving.
| 90-year-old Alice Huggins, chair aerobics participant. |
The class was made up primarily of older adults, ranging from people in their 60s to 90-year-old Alice Huggins, who once again showed that age is no excuse for sitting still.
As for me?
I got
tired.
Quickly.
| Karnecia Williams, instructor of the August 13 Slide City Chair Aerobics class. |
Discovery
No. 1: Karnecia Wasn't Going to Let Me Hide Behind My Camera
Since I'm
usually the person taking the photographs, I decided to sneak back into my
familiar PR role when I needed a break.
I picked
up my camera and started recording a few videos.
Karnecia
wasn't having it.
"No
cheating, Mr. Roy. You're in the class, not PR guy today," she said with a smile.
I grinned
sheepishly.
Then I put
the camera down and got back to work.
A few
minutes later, I picked it up again.
I thought
I could sneak in another video.
I
couldn't.
"No
break, Mr. Roy!"
Karnecia called out.
Back down
went the camera.
Back to
exercising I went.
At one
point, I leaned over toward a woman sitting beside me.
"I'm
feeling every bit of my 61 years. I am out of shape," I whispered.
She
laughed.
I kept
moving.
Discovery
No. 2: Chair Aerobics Is No Joke
Karnecia
kept the class moving through a series of exercises that worked more than just
our arms.
We moved
from seated exercises to standing movements, working around the chairs and
keeping pace with her instructions.
By the
time we reached the wind-down portion, I could feel the workout in my muscles.
When the
class ended, my body knew it had done some work.
But my
Thursday wasn't over.
Not even
close.
10:30
a.m.: Time to Wind Down
After the
workout, I joined several other Chair Aerobics participants for an hour-long wind-down
crafts class led by Adult Librarian Jacqueline Winston.
It was
exactly what I needed.
After 25
minutes of kicking, punching, stretching and moving, I was ready to sit down,
relax and let my body recover.
An hour
later, I was headed downtown.
It was
time for Workout No. 2.
1 p.m.:
From Sweat to Serenity
At 1 p.m.,
I arrived at the downtown Birmingham Public Library for Week 3 of Coach Tru's
Chair Yoga series.
I had
participated in the class two weeks earlier, so this wasn't my first
experience.
That made
a difference.
The first
time, I didn't know what to expect.
This time,
I knew to expect something completely different from what I experienced that
morning.
Coach Tru
dimmed the lights.
Soft music
filled the room.
She
encouraged us to close our eyes, clear our minds and focus on our breathing.
Take a
deep breath.
Let it
out.
Forget the
distractions.
Be
present.
After the
morning's high-energy workout, it felt almost like pressing a reset button.
Jaynea "Coach Tru" Milhouse is teaching chair yoga at Central Library downtown from 1-2 p.m. every Thursday through Aug. 27. BPL's Roy Williams is writing a first-person perspective of the class series.
Discovery No. 3: Sometimes Your Body Needs to Slow Down
For nearly
an hour, I stretched my arms and legs while listening to Coach Tru's calm
instructions.
The
movements were slow and deliberate.
At first,
some of my muscles hurt as I stretched them.
But
gradually, it became easier.
Coach Tru
continually reminded us to breathe, relax and not push our bodies beyond what
felt safe.
And once
again, I found myself surprised by how much I enjoyed the experience.
It was
exercise.
But it
didn't feel like the kind of exercise that leaves you exhausted.
It felt
restorative.
Two
Workouts. Two Completely Different Experiences.
That's
what struck me most about Thursday.
At 9:30
a.m., I was punching, kicking, standing, sitting and trying to keep up with
Karnecia Williams.
At 1 p.m.,
I was sitting quietly, breathing deeply and stretching under Coach Tru's
direction.
One class
had music that kept me moving.
The other
had quiet music that helped me slow down.
One left
me sweating.
The other
left me relaxed.
Yet both had something important in common: They got me moving.
And both
reminded me that fitness doesn't have to look the same for everyone.
Discovery
No. 4: BPL Wellness Comes in More Than One Form
As
Birmingham Public Library's public relations specialist, I spend much of my
time behind the camera documenting what happens inside our libraries.
Over the
past several months, I've photographed and written about a growing number of
BPL wellness programs.
But
participating in them has given me a different perspective.
I've
learned that wellness isn't simply about working out.
Sometimes
it's about challenging yourself.
Sometimes
it's about slowing down.
Sometimes
it's about meeting people, laughing together and building a community.
And
sometimes it's about realizing that at 61, you can still try something you've
never done before.
My
Thursday Takeaway
By the
time I left the library Thursday afternoon, I had experienced two completely
different approaches to wellness.
Slide
City Chair Aerobics reminded me that I need to keep moving.
Chair
Yoga reminded me that I also need to slow down.
I think I
need both.
And maybe
that's the real lesson.
Taking
care of yourself isn't always about pushing harder.
Sometimes
it's about knowing when to push—and knowing when to breathe.
For me,
Thursday was a reminder that Birmingham Public Library isn't just giving people
places to read, learn and connect.
We're also
giving people opportunities to move, relax and take better care of themselves.
And on
this particular Thursday, I got to experience both sides.
My body
felt the morning workout.
My mind
appreciated the afternoon one.
And I'm
already looking forward to the next class.
FREE
BPL WELLNESS PROGRAMS
Slide
City Chair Aerobics
North
Birmingham Regional Library
A free,
low-impact chair-based workout featuring music, movement and exercises designed
to help participants stay active.
Chair
Yoga with Coach Tru
Birmingham
Public Library
2100 Park Place
Birmingham, AL 35203
Thursdays
| 1–2 p.m.
Remaining
dates: Aug. 20 and
Aug. 27
Led by
Jaynea "Coach Tru" Milhouse, certified Hatha yoga instructor,
licensed therapist, certified Vipassana meditation teacher and life coach.
Cost: Free
Who
should attend:
Adults of all ages and ability levels. No previous yoga experience is
necessary.
Inside
Birmingham Public Library's Chair Yoga Class: A First-Person Experience
https://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/2026/07/inside-birmingham-public-librarys-chair.html
Learn
More
📖 Meet Coach Tru: Read our
Wellness Spotlight Q&A to learn about her journey into yoga, mindfulness
and mental wellness. Link https://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/2026/07/chair-yoga-at-birmingham-public-library.html
📖 Earlier Story: Read Get
Fit at BPL: Our Next Step Is Chair Yoga for a preview of the series.
Link
https://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/2026/07/get-fit-at-bpl-our-next-step-is-chair.html
📖 Related Story:
Read my first-person experience inside Birmingham Public Library's popular
Slide City Chair Aerobics class at North Birmingham Regional Library
https://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/2026/07/chair-yoga-at-birmingham-public-library.html
For more information about Birmingham Public Library
programs and events, visit www.cobpl.org/calendar.

.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments