This Year I Will Exercise More

Pictures of people exercising

It’s a new year and many of us have made New Year’s resolutions.  One resolution on many lists is to get more exercise.  I don’t know about you, but I can’t find the discipline to exercise consistently.  I go through periods when I can’t wait to go exercise and others when I’d rather do anything but exercise.  Usually when I’m exercising on a regular basis, something happens to throw me off track (injury, illness, etc.). Sometimes I get disgruntled with my health club membership and decide to go it alone to save money.  I admit I’ve bought a couple of things I’ve seen on television, but I didn’t stick with them for the long haul.

A coworker told me about BodyRock.tv.  This website features a number of high-intensity workouts that work your entire body with just a short time commitment.  I decided to give it a try.  In the interest of full disclosure, I did start my BodyRock journey with a workout entitled, “It Will Rain Sweat.”  To use one of Judge Judy’s famous phrases, “BIG MISTAKE!!!”  As I gasped for breath, heaving on the floor, I texted (with great effort) the person who told me about BodyRock and said I could only do one round.  After she got her laughter under control, which I learned later, she texted back and told me I went through the workout too fast. 

Have you seen the commercial where the bodybuilder asks the smaller guy if he "got his burn on" today?  If you haven’t experienced that, believe me, it happens.  When I was a member of the YMCA, a friend from the library who’s more than twice my age started trash-talking me about not using all the workout equipment that he did.  He's not a bodybuilder, but he's in great shape.  He is a mild-mannered, friendly grandpa, but get him in the gym and he turns into a UFC fighter.  How about the people who choose the cardio machine right next to you and start racing?  I admit that ONE time this guy started running next to me and I decided that barring death, I would NOT be the first one to stop.  I had to crawl back to the locker room, but he stopped first.  I call that a victory.  Thankfully, the locker room was on the same floor.

I hope you’re laughing by now, but we all know that exercise is important for good health.  My eating habits are in order, but I have to get back on the exercise train.  I hope all of us find something we enjoy doing and stick to our New Year’s resolution to get more exercise.  Be sure to check out the collection of fitness books and DVDs at the library to get some motivation and inspiration.  Happy New Year!

Comments