Beijing--Games of the XXIX Olympiad

Summon the Heroes CD What comes to mind when you think about the Olympic Games? Do you remember watching someone set a new world record? Perhaps you visualize Antonio Rebollo igniting the Olympic Flame in Barcelona with an expertly-placed arrow. If you’re like me, music from the Olympics starts playing in your head: “Summon the Heroes” by John Williams, “Reach” by Gloria Estefan, or “One Moment in Time” by Whitney Houston. The music brings the Olympics to life for me and builds my excitement for the competition.

I was thrilled to attend the Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta. I remember what it was like to walk into Olympic Stadium and see the flame burning brightly overhead. Sitting with people from all over the world to watch the athletes compete is something I will remember forever.

Although I didn’t get to see the event in person, my favorite Olympic memory is from the 1996 Games. I watched with pride and admiration as Michael Johnson broke the world record in the 200m sprint, a record that still stands to this day. The flash bulbs in Olympic stadium followed him around the track as he sprinted to victory. He cried on the podium as the American flag was raised and the "Star-Spangled Banner" played. What an achievement to be displayed on the front page of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and newspapers around the world as he crossed the finish line.

The stage is set for the Beijing Olympics and you are invited to make the library part of your Olympic experience. Our subject guide on the Olympic Games will direct you to music, DVDs, books, and websites about the Olympics. I’ll be watching on 08.08.08 and hope you will too.

Comments