Book Review: The Dinner List

by Jenn Seiler-Patrick, Five Points West Regional Branch Library

The Dinner List
Rebecca Serle

As someone who is very indecisive, I have not been able to create a “dinner list”—you know, the ice-breaker question where you pick the five people you’d like to share a meal with? This simple premise has been turned into a beautiful story of a 30th birthday dinner for Sabrina, which, surprisingly, includes:
We begin to learn about unresolved issues between the players in the present through their dinner conversation, while also being taken back in time to the stories of love and friendship between these complex characters in the past. For me, what gave this book five stars was the turn that occurred halfway through the story, which flipped my expectations upside-down. The story that followed was more profound than I expected from this sweet book and made me love it all the more. This story of longing, grief, and redemption will stay with me for a long time.

Comments