Get Fit at BPL: Our Next Step Is Chair Yoga Series Beginning July 30


Get Fit at BPL: Our Next Step Is Chair Yoga

By Roy L. Williams, Public Relations Specialist, Birmingham Public Library

For nearly 11 years, I've had one of the best jobs in Birmingham: taking photographs at dozens of Birmingham Public Library events, interviewing participants and telling stories about the employees who help our libraries transform lives across the city.

Over the next few weeks, however, I'm becoming a participant in a new class helping patrons get in shape and relax at the same time. I'll still bring my camera to take photos at the kickoff of the Chair Yoga with Coach Tru series at the downtown Birmingham Public Library at 1:00 p.m. this Thursday, July 30. But beginning the following week, I'll put the camera down, pull up a chair and become one of the students.

At 61, I've never taken a yoga class. To be honest, I don't know what to expect.

Can someone with tight muscles, sore knees and absolutely no yoga experience discover something beneficial from this class?

That's exactly what I'm about to find out.

Earlier this month, I watched Coach Tru lead an introductory Chair Yoga class at the downtown library. The response was so positive that Birmingham Public Library expanded it into a free five-week series beginning July 30.

After recently experiencing the energy and camaraderie of our popular Slide City Chair Aerobics class at North Birmingham Regional Library, I'm curious to discover a different approach to wellness. Chair Aerobics showed me that exercise can build friendships and confidence as well as improve physical health. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what Chair Yoga has to teach me.

Leading the BPL Chair Yoga series is Jaynea "Coach Tru" Milhouse.

Meet Coach Tru

Leading the series is Birmingham wellness professional Jaynea "Coach Tru" Milhouse, a certified Hatha yoga instructor, mental health therapist, certified Vipassana meditation teacher and life coach.

A Birmingham native, Coach Tru earned her Bachelor of Social Work from Miles College and her Master of Social Work from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Through H.O.U.S.E. of Tru (Healing Our Universe through Self-Awareness & Empowerment), she helps people improve their physical, emotional and spiritual well-being through yoga, meditation and mindfulness.

Having watched her introductory class, I can already tell that Coach Tru is an amazing yoga instructor. She showed how you don't have to be flexible or experienced to do yoga.  Her classes focus on gentle movement, intentional breathing and meeting people exactly where they are.

As someone starting from square one, I find that encouraging.

Learn more about Coach Tru in upcoming Q&A

Before I become one of Coach Tru's students, I had the opportunity to do an in-depth conversation about her journey from aspiring attorney to licensed therapist, yoga instructor and mindfulness coach.

In an upcoming Birmingham Public Library blog, she'll explain what Chair Yoga really is, who it's designed for, the physical and mental health benefits it offers and why she believes wellness belongs in community spaces like public libraries.

It's an inspiring conversation that I think you'll enjoy.

Join Me

If you've ever wondered whether Chair Yoga might be right for you, consider joining me during this five-week journey. I'll be learning alongside everyone else, and after I finish the class series,  I'll share what I discover: the challenges, the surprises, the laughs and, hopefully, the progress.

Who knows? Maybe we'll both discover that it's never too late to begin something new.

FREE CHAIR YOGA AT BIRMINGHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY

Relax • Breathe • Stretch • Renew

Location: Birmingham Public Library
2100 Park Place, Birmingham, AL 35203

Time: Thursdays at 1 p.m., beginning Thursday, July 40

Other Dates

  • Aug. 6
  • Aug. 13
  • Aug. 20
  • Aug. 27

Instructor: Jaynea "Coach Tru" Milhouse

Who Should Attend: Adults of all ages and ability levels. No previous yoga experience is necessary.

For more information about Birmingham Public Library programs and events, visit the library calendar at www.cobpl.org/calendar.

Written by Roy L. Williams, Public Relations Specialist at the Birmingham Public Library

See scenes from the July 16 Chair Yoga class below. 





Comments