Inside Birmingham Public Library's Chair Yoga Class: A First-Person Experience
| Jaynea "Coach Tru" Milhouse, instructor of Chair Yoga at downtown Birmingham Public Library |
Inside Downtown Birmingham Public Library's Chair Yoga Class: A First-Peron Experience
I Came
to Take Photos of Chair Yoga. I Joined the Class & Left Feeling Relaxed.
By Roy L. Williams, Public Relations Specialist, Birmingham Public Library
Birmingham, Ala. - I walked
into the Chair Yoga by Coach Tru class in the downtown Birmingham Public Library carrying my camera.
An hour
later, I walked out carrying something I hadn't expected: a sense of calm.
My
assignment that afternoon was straightforward: photograph the second week of
Birmingham Public Library's new Chair Yoga series, and
gather material for another blog story.
Then
something unexpected happened.
About
halfway through the class, I put my camera down.
Instead of
watching from behind the lens, I pulled up a chair and became one of the
students.
I'm glad I
did.
What to expect: One-on-one chair yoga session held July 30 at Central Library
What to expect: Chair yoga session for dozen students held July 16 at Central Library
Could Chair Yoga Benefit my Health? I Decided to Find Out for Myself.
A month
ago, I experienced another Birmingham Public Library wellness program from the
inside by joining the popular Slide City Chair Aerobics class at North
Birmingham Regional Library.
That class
was energetic, fast-paced and set to classic R&B and hip-hop music.
Chair Yoga
was the complete opposite.
The lights
were dimmed.
Soft music
played quietly in the background.
Instead of
keeping pace with upbeat songs, participants focused on intentional breathing,
gentle stretching and simply being present.
Earlier
this month, I had photographed Coach Tru leading the inaugural Chair Yoga
class, where about a dozen people attended.
This week,
there were only two participants: Clarence Cameron Mitchell and me.
What could
have felt like a small class actually became one of its greatest strengths.
Coach Tru was able to spend extra time with each of us, offering gentle encouragement and personalized instruction throughout the session.
Discovery No. 1: Slowing Down Can Be Harder Than Speeding Up
Before
joining the class, I talked with Cameron.
He told me
he had attended the first session because of ongoing back discomfort and said
he noticed a difference afterward.
That
caught my attention.
Seven years ago, I underwent back surgery, and like many people my age, I often deal with tight muscles in my neck, shoulders and back.
Maybe
Chair Yoga could help me, too.
As I stood
off to the side taking photographs, I found myself relaxing just by observing.
Coach
Tru's calm voice filled the room.
The music
faded into the background.
Participants
closed their eyes, breathed deeply and moved slowly through each stretch.
It was
unlike any fitness class I had ever experienced.
After
about 25 minutes, I realized I didn't want to just document the class anymore.
I wanted
to experience it.
So I
quietly put my camera down.
I admitted
to Coach Tru that I was a complete beginner.
She smiled
and simply encouraged me to meet my body where it was.
There was
no pressure to keep up.
No
expectation to touch my toes.
No
competition.
Just
breathe.
Stretch.
Relax.
As someone who spends much of the day juggling deadlines, emails, meetings and photography assignments, I discovered that slowing my mind down was every bit as challenging as stretching my muscles.
She
encouraged deep breathing and intentional movement.
Within
minutes, I found myself settling into the rhythm of the class.
Discovery
No. 3: More Than Stretching
Yes, my
muscles reminded me they hadn't been stretched this way in a while.
But what
surprised me most wasn't the physical workout.
It was the
mental reset.
For one
hour, I wasn't thinking about the next press release, the next photograph or
everything waiting on my desk.
My only
job was to breathe.
Stretch.
Be
present.
By the end
of class, I felt noticeably more relaxed than when I walked in.
That alone
made the experience worthwhile.
Discovery No. 4: Why I'll Be Back
Coach Tru
told us every class is different.
That makes
me curious about what's waiting over the next four weeks.
I still
have plenty to learn.
My muscles
still have room to loosen up.
And
judging by my first experience, my mind probably does, too.
That's why
I'll be back.
More
Than Books
Experiences
like this remind me that Birmingham Public Library continues to grow in ways
many people may not expect. In addition to books, technology, educational
programs and cultural events, our libraries are becoming places where people
can improve their health and overall well-being.
Whether
it's Chair Aerobics, Chair Yoga, line dancing, Tai Chi or another wellness
program, these classes help build stronger communities by encouraging people to
learn, connect and take care of themselves.
My
Takeaway
Sometimes
the best thing we can do in life is to slow down.
Take a
deep breath & Relax.
And simply
be present in the moment.
If you've
ever wondered whether Chair Yoga might be for you, I encourage you to pull up a
chair over the next four weeks. Join me and
discover it for yourself.
FREE
CHAIR YOGA SERIES AT BIRMINGHAM PUBLIC
LIBRARY
Relax • Breathe • Stretch • Renew
Location: Birmingham Public Library, 2100 Park Place
Birmingham, AL 35203
Time: Thursdays at 1 p.m.
Remaining
Classes
- Aug. 6
- Aug. 13
- Aug. 20
- Aug. 27
Instructor: Jaynea "Coach Tru"
Milhouse
Who
Should Attend:
Adults of all ages and ability levels. No previous yoga experience is
necessary.
Learn
More
📖 Meet Coach Tru: Read our Wellness
Spotlight Q&A to learn about her journey into yoga, mindfulness and mental
wellness. Link https://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/2026/07/chair-yoga-at-birmingham-public-library.html
📖 Earlier Story: Read Get Fit at
BPL: Our Next Step Is Chair Yoga for a preview of the series. Link
https://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/2026/07/get-fit-at-bpl-our-next-step-is-chair.html
📖 Related Story: Read my
first-person experience inside Birmingham Public Library's popular Slide City
Chair Aerobics class at North Birmingham Regional Library
https://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/2026/07/chair-yoga-at-birmingham-public-library.html
For more information about Birmingham Public Library programs and events, visit www.cobpl.org/calendar.

Comments