Sports in October


Railroad Park
Railroad Park

I love October.  One of the main reasons I love October in Birmingham is that the weather is finally cooling down.  I think it’s the best month of weather we have during the year.  We typically have bright sunny days with low humidity and comfortable temperatures.  I always recommend that people who have never been to Birmingham visit in October.  It's a great time to visit Railroad Park.  The fountain in Linn Park also gets changed to pink in preparation for the Komen North Central Alabama Race for the Cure®.


Linn Park
Linn Park fountain

Besides the good weather, I love October because I can turn on any channel and find sports.  October is the month when all the sports I enjoy are being played at the same time.  This week, I have watched college football, NFL football, NBA basketball, and the World Series.  Like baseball, I tend to watch NHL hockey during the playoffs, but if I feel inclined, the NHL season is back in full swing right now.  October is a great month for sports fans. 


BasketballFootball

Baseball


Game 3 of the World Series is tonight in New York.  The Kansas City Royals lead the New York Mets 2-0.  It is essentially a must-win game for New York because it is extremely difficult to come back from a 3-0 deficit.  According to SB Nation, “there have been 33 different best-of-seven series in MLB postseason history that have started 0-3. Only one team came back to win, the 2004 Boston Red Sox in the ALCS.”  I remember watching the ALCS that year and I still can’t believe the New York Yankees lost four straight after being up 3-0.  Boston went on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals 4-0 in the World Series.  As we finish up this month, enjoy the nice weather, enjoy the great sports, and Happy Halloween!  

Comments