Great Outdoors Month



Midnight Hole

Did you know that June is Great Outdoors Month?  I didn’t know that until I read about it today.  It makes perfect sense for the month of June because it’s warm enough to get outdoors.  Therein lies the rub.  It’s so warm in Alabama, that it’s too hot for me to get outdoors.  I’m depending on you, the reading public, to get out there and enjoy the outdoors for me.  I have so much respect for people who go fishing, boating, hiking, etc., with an angry sun overhead.  They look up at the sky and say, “You will not defeat me sun!  I have water and copious amounts of sunscreen.”  For me, September and October are usually great for outdoor activities.  Right now, though, I am holding on to the air conditioning vent with two hands.  Love some A.C. 

I know what you’re thinking.  You’re thinking, “Hey, when you go into the great outdoors, what types of activities do you enjoy?”  I’m glad you asked.  I really enjoy the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Last year, I went to Chimney Rock State Park in August, but I usually go to Gatlinburg in September and hike a different waterfall trail.  Now, we probably could put “hike” in quotes because I’m selective about which trails I take.   If you have looked at any trail descriptions, “moderate” is my max and I'm paying close attention to the elevation change.  The scenery along these trails is absolutely amazing and people on the trails tend to be very friendly.  We encourage each other to forge ahead and ensure each other that a waterfall exists at the end of the trail.  It doesn’t help when you see signs along the way reading, “Be careful, people have died falling from this height,”  or something similar.  Not to mention the warnings about bears.


Mouse Creek Falls
Hickory Nut FallsToms Branch Falls

There are so many outdoor activities available here in Alabama.  I really should take advantage of the waterfall trails closer to home.  Be sure to take a look at some of these books and websites to get ideas of where you’d like to go.  Remember not to overdo it in the heat and stay properly hydrated.  Who's ready for an adventure?

Books:
Websites:

Comments