Bards & Brews Tribute to Voice Porter is This Friday, June 2, at The Greenhouse in Ensley


Jahman Hill, co-founder of Flourish Alabama, will be featured poet Friday night at the Bards & Brews tribute to Voice Porter.

 

Birmingham, Ala. - Jahman Hill credits the late Brian "Voice Porter" Hawkins (longtime host of the Birmingham Public Library's Bards & Brews) with introducing him to the spoken word poetry scene in Birmingham. This Friday, June 2, at 6:30 p.m., Hill will be the featured poet as his nonprofit, The Flourish Alabama, hosts BPL's Tribute to Voice Porter at The Greenhouse, 602 19th Street Ensley.


Friday's June 2, 2023, event will take place a day after what would have been Voice Porter's 44th birthday. 

Hill is a veteran participant in Bards & Brews and has won several BPL poetry slams, including a first place finish at the Bards poetry slam held in May. Hill is also co-founder along with veteran Bards poet Eric Marable Jr. of The Flourish Alabama, a non-profit that nurtures young poets in Birmingham and has hosted several open mic and poetry slams at the Central Library.   

In a Q&A with BPL Public Relations Director Roy Williams, Hill talked about how excited he is to be the poetry spotlight this month at a tribute to his poet mentor, Voice Porter. He also shared details of a fundraising campaign for a free 6-week youth poetry camp The Flourish is offering this summer. 

BPL: You talked in the Voice tribute we linked to above in blog written after his death above as well as last year on first anniversary of what Voice meant to you. How did he inspire you as a spoken word artist.

Hill: Voice was the first person to remember me in Birmingham. When I came back in town to do a show, he made sure I got on the list so I could perform. That was the first time I was remembered for my poetry. The first slam I won was in Birmingham was  BPL's Eat. Drink. Read. Write. Bards and Brews Slam. 

I should've been disqualified after the first round (I didn't know the rules). Voice kindly pulled me aside, told me what the rules were, and allowed me to continue. I've gone on to become one of the top slam poets in the world, and I can trace that back to moments such as that one early in my career. 

 BPL: How excited are you to be the featured poet at a Bards & Brews tribute to Voice? 

Hill: I don't even have the words, but I'm a poet, so I'll say some. Voice was a mentor and I've strived to continue his legacy, so I'm just proud to continue on building his legacy with my peers. 

BPL: For those unfamiliar, what is Flourish Alabama? 

Hill: We (Flourish Alabama) are a nonprofit dedicated to helping artists Bloom. We use the arts to break down systems of oppression and show people their infinite possibility. We do this through arts education, community events, and creating a Black Arts District in Ensley.

BPL: Tell us about this venue, The Greenhouse, which is hosting Bards on Friday night. I understand you host a poetry event there every month. 

Hill: We have a monthly series, High Tea, which is like a Southern-centric Tiny Desk, but we also bring in performers from across the country. It also has an open mic portion. This month we'll have Carey Fountain and Rudy Francisco as the features. Additionally, we have a bi-weekly open mic, Soundclash, every first and third Friday. The Greenhouse also has community arts workshops, concerts, and is available to be rented out for events. 

 BPL: I understand The Flourish is hosting a youth poetry camp this summer. Tell us about that and how people can help support it. 

Hill: Our Full Bloom Summer Academy will be a 6-week program where we cover a range of artistic disciplines, including music production, creative writing, and cinematography. We'll be hosting the academy at the Greenhouse, as well as at the Ross Bell Youth Detention Center. 

The academy is free to high school students and we have just a few spots left. Students can apply at linktr.ee/theflourish under the "Summer Academy" link. We need all the monetary support that we can get to make this program the best it can be for students, and donations can be made at theflourishal.com/donate .

BPL: You have built a reputation for your powerful poems that reflect current issues taking place in the Black community. Talk of what inspires your poetry. 

Hill: Honestly, I'm inspired by the world around me and whatever I feel called to speak on. As a Black man, issues around gender, race, and sexuality have always spoken to me. Political issues, sports, there are a plethora of topics that on any given day can provide that spark.

 BPL: I was introduced to spoken word poetry events by watching the 1997 hit movie "Love Jones"starring Larenz Tate and Nia Long. What do you feel is behind the growth of popularity of spoken word poetry today over 25 years later? 

Hill: Poetry is a space where people can truly learn without limits and confines. I think we hunger for learning and relating to others in creative ways. 

BPL: Anything else to add? 

Hill: Black people are infinitely possible.


Comments