Get to Know the BPL Young Professionals Board Members: Dionne Clark



What is your full name, age, and occupation? 


My name is Dionne Clark, and I’m 34 years old. I am the Programs Director at Alabama Humanities Foundation.

Why did you get involved with the BPLYP?

I was interested in joining the BPLYP because I have a sincere appreciation for literacy education, and cultural and educational programming. The library has always been a vital aspect of my personal, academic and cultural growth.

Which is your favorite (or most frequented) library branch of the Birmingham Public Library system? 

I spend a lot of time at the Central Branch. My daughter loves the youth section (especially the animals), and I meet a small group of ladies there to run weekly.

Would you rather read on an e-reader or a book?

I really want an e-reader, but I still value a tangible text. I hope that my future e-reader will increase my reading, and allow me to easily access books wherever I go. I always purchase books that I find that I will refer to in the future, or plan to use for educational purposes.

What is your favorite website or form of social media.

Currently, my favorite website is theeverygirl.com; it’s a site dedicated to the socio-cultural, personal and professional growth of young, professional women. My favorite forms of social media are Twitter and Instagram.

What is your favorite place to eat in Birmingham? 

Besides my own kitchen, my favorite place to dine in Birmingham is toss up between Paramount and Zoe’s. Zoe’s has an amazing app for free “goodies” and you can always get a meal that is high in protein and has good carbs!

What book would you want to have with you if you were stranded on a desert island?

In addition to the Bible (in order to keep myself sane and grounded), I would definitely need Toni Morrison’s Beloved.

Where do you most want to travel, but have never been?

I really would like to travel to Ghana and South Africa.

Who are some of your favorite authors? 
My favorite authors include Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, Ernest Hemingway, Iyanla Vanzant and Gabrielle Garcia-Marquez


What is your wish for the city of Birmingham? 

My wish for the city of Birmingham is to grow beyond its social, political and cultural borders. Birmingham is an amazing city, and has many natural attractions that make it appealing to both young professionals and families. I would love to see Birmingham invest in public transportation, the maintenance of it’s street and sanitation, cultural and educational spaces (cultural and historical museums), the local economy, and supporting its schools.

Comments