Diana Gabaldon's Popular Outlander Book Series Now a TV Series

In 1991 as a young librarian, I ordered a new book by a new author, Diana Gabaldon. The blurb said it was historical fiction and it looked intriguing. I thought my patrons would like it; I thought I would like it. It seemed like a good fit for my little library.

Twenty-three years and eight major books later, the Outlander series has come to television. This series has something for everyone: a great love story, time travel, history, Scottish rebellion against the English, war, colonization of the new world, Native Americans, and the hardships of living in the 17th century. The research, especially in the medical history, is extremely well done. Gabaldon is still working on the series and has also written numerous novellas about minor character in the Outlander series. The first year of the television series will cover the first book in the series. I hope it has a long run.

Books in the series:
Outlander (1991)
Dragonfly in Amber (1992)
Voyager (1994)
Drums of Autumn (1997)
The Fiery Cross (2001)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)
An Echo in the Bone (2009)



Lynn Carpenter
Five Points West Library

Comments