Job Hunting Made Easier at Your Local Library

job searching graphic

Hardly an hour goes by without one of my patrons saying, “I’m looking for a job online but I’m not sure where to go,” or “How do I fill out this online job application?” or “How do I attach my resume to this online job application?” Having been hired recently as the new branch head at East Lake Library, I can certainly identify with those who are navigating the online job search tools and figuring out what is required to apply for a job online.

I tell my patrons that Birmingham Public Library is a good place to start when looking for a job. The BPL website has a guide specifically for Job Searching. From there you can access local and national job listings like Alabama Joblink, Best Local Jobs which is powered by al.com, or CareerBuilder.com, Simply Hired, or SnagAJob. If you want reliable, current career information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook. If you are about to apply for a job but need help with your resume, try Creating Resumes which provides information about the various types of resumes and tips on what to include and leave out.

If you need to access to tools to help you keep the new job or get that promotion, try Learning Express Library which offers test preparation assistance, and tools for helping to improve your reading, writing, and math skills. And don’t forget the Regional Library Computer Center which offers free computer classes.

Whichever library you visit as you begin your job search, you can count on friendly staff to help you access the print and online resources you need.

William Darby
East Lake Library

Comments