2023 Local Authors Spotlight: Gwarmekia Sturdivant

 

Author Gwarmekia LaFaye Sturdivant 



Author Gwarmekia Sturdivant  has been described as a "queen with a mission to empower children" and others through her books.

Come meet Gwarmekia and nearly 30 other authors this Saturday, November 4, at the Birmingham Public Library's 2023 Local Authors Expo. This free event will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Central Library downtown, 2100 Park Place. 

Gwarmekia has written several books including "Altar Call: Confessions Part 1" (August 2019), a book meant to encourage others going through trials and trauma. Learn more about Gwarmekia below. 
 
BPL: Tell me about your books.


Gwarmekia:  Most of my books are educational, just in different subjects. Although the children books have pictures, I believe they're awesome for teens and adults. 

My first book, 'No, Don't Touch Me There!' was from God. Something that happened as a child turned around for good. I'm able to help other children understand their rights. They have a right to "Say No" and a right to speak up when inappropriate things are happening to them and around them.

BPL: Who is your favorite author and why? 

Gwarmekia: Smith Wigglesworth is one that I've been reading consistently. I love faith books and anything that helps me improve my way of thinking. But, I've been reading so many amazing books such as The Power to Change by Craig Groeschel, Change Your Mindset by Doris Barren, Faith that Prevails by Smith Wigglesworth. 

BPL: What do you hope readers get out of your books?

 Gwarmekia: I desire for children to understand their power to change the world, with love. So many have grown up and have taken on their parents beliefs. My book, Colors, Shapes, and Sizes was written to help them understand, no matter how people may look, no matter where they're from, rich or poor, to love them. 

BPL: Any advice you would give for new authors or those desiring to become an author? 

Gwarmekia:  Work towards your goals. Begin with the end in mind. Don't give up no matter what obstacles, setbacks, or negative feedback. You have the idea to create something no one else can create through writing. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll see the manifested product. So, get started!



Comments