Local Authors Expo 2023 Spotlight: Keimaya Downey

Headshot of Keimaya Downey

Keimaya Downey wrote a collection of poetry and prose that details her journey of healing and self-discovery in an age oversaturated with misleading narratives of success. 

Downey will be at the Local Authors Expo at the Central Library this Saturday, November 4, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

BPL: Please introduce yourself and tell us about your books.

KD: My name is Keimaya Downey, and my book Blooming Hurts is a collection of poetry and prose following a glimpse of my healing and self-discovery journey. Each chapter represents a distinct phase of my growth (childhood, love, coming into early adulthood, etc.). It serves as a testament that although blooming can hurt, it's so worth it.

Book cover of Blooming Hurts

BPL: What inspired you to write your books?

KD: Part of a generation that is heavily influenced by social media, at times I felt I wasn't given a realistic idea or expectation of what it takes to bloom. We are sold highlight reels and what appears to be overnight success, and can oftentimes think our journey is wrong, flawed, or inadequate because it doesn't always look glamorous or put together. I was inspired to write Blooming Hurts to shine a light on the parts of the journey that aren't always pretty or pleasant. Our pain doesn't make us powerless, it just adds to the dopeness of our petals and our story. Blooming Hurts is a way of me saying, "I see you, I hear you, I feel you," to those who can relate or resonate with the body of work.

BPL: Who is your favorite author and why?

KD: Even though I read a ton I don't have a favorite author at the moment. I honestly have more favorite books than I have favorite authors. I will say one of my favorites growing up was Sharon M. Draper. As a youth, she made me feel incredibly seen, understood, and empowered. 

BPL: What do you hope readers get out of your book?

KD: I am incredibly passionate about inspiring others to advocate for their fulfillment and take up space fully, authentically, and unapologetically. I hope readers are able to walk away from my work and say, "I am more myself."

BPL: Any advice you would give for new authors or those desiring to become an author?

KD: My biggest advice would be don't be afraid to tell your story. Stories are what connect us, inspire us, heal us, empower us, hold us together, keep us going, etc. Stories can't do work and have the impact they're intended to if we hoard them and keep them in the drafts. Don't let getting in your head stop you from sharing what's on your heart. We need it!

Flyer advertising the Local Authors Expo this Saturday, November 4

Get a signed copy of Blooming Hurts at the Local Authors Expo on Saturday, November 4, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Central Library.

Follow the Birmingham Public Library on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter for more updates like these. 

By Cheyenne Trujillo | Library Assistant Ⅲ, Public Relations Department

Comments