2023 Local Authors Spotlight: Meet Vallean Jackson

 

Vallean Jackson with her 4-year-old daughter, Valiyah, who inspired her children's books.


This Saturday, November 4, folks interested in gaining tips on publishing a book will get a chance to meet 30 writers at the 2023 Birmingham Public Library Local Authors Expo. The free expo will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Central Library, 2100 Park Place in downtown Birmingham.

BPL is spotlighting several of the local authors. Today meet Birmingham's Vallean Jackson, a first-time participant who will have several of her books for sale - and is happy to autograph each one. 

BPL: Tell me about your books.

Jackson: To me, my books are one of a kind. Of course I want to sell books, but if one person or a couple of people get my vision, that is freaking amazing for me. It's like my books are for those that need it and not everybody. At first I thought being an Author meant having to put myself in a box and focus on one genre, but then I decided that I was not an in the box type of person. I wanted a book that in a sense could reach a little bit of everyone that could possibly be interested, but to me that meant not just one book. Different genres. To write what my heart felt and not to appease others and think is this what someone would read? I want people to read my work, but those that are drawn to it more so. Being an Author for me is because of my passion for the craft, not for profit. I believe one day the profits will come, but for now it's almost like putting my heart in paper form. 

BPL: What inspired you to write your books?

Jackson: A lot of things honestly, my daughter was one of my inspirations, but before she came along it was my chance to have a voice. I desired and still do to help people and let them know they aren't alone. Somebody out there understands what you're going through, learning is possible it just takes time, and strangely enough I got tired of hearing to write. I would see something and could make a story out of just one word, tell it to others, and it was believable. Then in getting it out on paper I noticed that I at times felt lighter and my mind more free. So I guess in a sense you can say that writing became almost an escape while hopefully helping others along the way.




BPL: Who is your favorite author and why? 

Jackson: Honestly, I don't have a favorite. Before I got into writing I did. I had books piled high of Wahida Clark and Nikki, and Ms. KP and others. I used to want to do collabs with either of them, maybe a part of me still does one day, but for now, the Authors I come across are all unique and kind of mind blowing. It's beautiful to witness so much Black literature exist now days and there is almost a genre untouched and I love that. As a culture we are breaking ceilings that I knew nothing of coming of, and it's like we are setting a tone for future generations that I know I wish I had growing up.

BPL: What do you hope readers get out of your books? 

Jackson: I hope readers get out of my books to not feel alone, that no matter what you have been through there is some bright side in the situation even if it's small. I want readers to understand that learning is a group effort when it comes to these babies. That the village is still possible, but we just have to restore it. We have to put in the effort, and lastly, I hope readers see my vision, the lessons, and advice. Life is no easy pill to swallow, but there are parts of it where you are truly not alone even if you do not know the person or even if it just a made up character in a book. Sometimes even just that little of being able relate can help somebody push on. 

BPL: Any advice you would give for new authors or those desiring to become an author?

Jackson: Write from your heart and be natural. Don't try and copy somebody else style. What you create is your own and understand that perfection does not exist. This is why I say write for you and from the heart because you will not always be able to write for everybody. Even when it comes to children's books. They may seem simple, but somebody will find a flaw. If you give in to what somebody does not like, you will lose sight of your reasons for why you started.





Comments