Meet Erika Horne, BPL Library Assistant & Orchestra Clarinetist

 

Erika Horne, BPL Library Assistant III & Orchestra Clarinetist 

Birmingham, Ala. – When you walk into the Central Library in downtown Birmingham, many patrons getting passports at the Citizens Services Desk processed by Erika Horne may not be aware that the Library Assistant III is also a professional orchestra clarinetist.

Erika, who began working at the Birmingham Public Library in October 2023, played the clarinet in the Mobile Opera Orchestra and Mobile Ballet Orchestra from the fall of 2022 through the spring of 2023. She will be performing at concerts in Mobile again next spring.

Erika first learned the clarinet as a young teenager nearly a decade ago at her hometown Daphne High School. She also marched three years in the University of South Alabama Jaguar Marching Band and USA Jag Band at basketball games. Erika graduated from South Alabama (USA) in the fall of 2022 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education and Clarinet Performance (3.98 GPA).

In a Q&A with BPL, Erika talked about what it is like to play in an orchestra and her new love of working as a library assistant at BPL. 

BPL: You began playing in the Mobile Symphony Youth Orchestra during your senior year of high school and continued playing in orchestras through college at South Alabama. What was that experience like -and how did you balance that with school?

Erika: Playing in the MSYO my senior year of high school was my first experience playing in an orchestra. It introduced me to the world of orchestral music and I fell in love with it right away. I played in a symphony orchestra and opera orchestras during college, which prepared me to play a few professional gigs later. 

To keep up with my schoolwork, practicing, and performing, I typically would schedule my practice and homework/studying time out in advance during the week. This helped me to not get too overwhelmed and to get everything done on time. 

 BPL: Your bio shows that you have played clarinet professionally in many places. What were some of the most memorable performances that you enjoyed the most? 

Erika: My most memorable performances have been those played with the Mobile Opera Orchestra and Mobile Ballet Orchestra. This Spring, the Mobile Ballet performed Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky and I played in the orchestra pit alongside my previous clarinet instructor. 

This was my first time playing in a ballet and is by far my most memorable and cherished musical experience. The music itself was phenomenal and we had the most wonderful musicians there, many of which were my previous college professors.

BPL: You joined BPL’s Citizen Services Desk at the Central Library on October 9 of this year. What do you enjoy most about working in a library? 

Erika: One of my favorite things about working in a library is course being surrounded by hundreds of books, being an avid reader myself. Besides this, the staff at BPL is what has made me love the library the most. Everyone here is extremely kind and are passionate about what they do here at the library. 

 BPL: I see daily how busy the Citizen Services Desk is helping people start the process of getting a passport. Do you find many patrons surprised that you can get a passport at the Birmingham Public Library? 

Erika: Most people find out that we do passports from researching online, but a lot of patrons walk by our desk and are surprised that we do passports at the library. We frequently answer patron’s questions about how they can acquire a passport and about what materials they need to bring to apply, asking either in person or through a phone call. 

BPL: You mentioned that you love the library so much you are thinking of pursuing your MLS (Masters in Library Science)?  

Erika: I think that a career as a librarian is something that I could really enjoy and be passionate about, so I am considering getting a MLS so that this can be possible.

BPL: How do you relax and have fun outside of your library job? 

Erika: I love to spend time outside and I try to get out and take walks as often as I can, especially on the weekends. I really enjoy staying active through weightlifting as well, which I started early last year and have enjoyed it very much. I of course love to read whenever I have free time, usually on my Kindle that I recently got (if you’re thinking about getting one, do it! It’s worth it). I also adopted a cat about two months ago and it’s been really fun playing with her. She loves chasing the little red laser dot and playing with her toys.

BPL: Any upcoming concert performances – if so when and where? 

Erika: The next performances I will be playing in is the opera Rigoletto with the Mobile Opera on March 22nd and 24th in Mobile, Alabama. We will be practicing and preparing during the week and we will perform on that Friday night and Sunday afternoon. 

 BPL: Anything else to add? 

Erika:  I’m very thankful for my new home at BPL!

Comments