BPL Faces: Shea Robinson

by Roy L. Williams, Public Relations Director at the Birmingham Public Library

Shea Robinson, Fiction Department, Central Library

Shea Robinson has bachelor's degrees in cytotechnology and molecular biology, and a PhD from The University of Alabama at Birmingham in pathophysiology. But for the past 11 years she has used her wealth of knowledge from the classroom to fuel her passion for helping patrons of the Birmingham Public Library.

The Library Assistant III in the Central Library’s Fiction Department recently was the first BPL staff winner of the 2018 Summer Learning reading challenge. In a recent interview, she talked about her favorite book and what she loves most about working at BPL. Robinson also talked of what she loves most about using Beanstack, the app BPL is using for the first time to help patrons better track their Summer Learning.

About Shea Robinson
Hometown: Montgomery, Alabama
Favorite book: Eating Animals by Jonathon Safran Foer
Favorite movie: The Breakfast Club
Favorite TV show: Doctor Who
Quote she uses as a guide in life: “You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.” – Stephen King

How does it feel to be the first BPL Staff Summer Learning prize winner?
I’m happy I was selected. I enjoy participating in reading challenges and it’s always nice to win a prize.

How many books (or minutes) have you read so far?
I’ve completed six books thus far.

If you want to reveal, what has been your favorite book read so far—book title and author and why?
Force of Nature by Jane Harper. This is the second book in Harper’s Aaron Falk crime fiction series. The first one really drew me in so I was strongly anticipating the next installment. It didn’t disappoint!

What has the process of using Beanstack been like compared to the past traditional way of doing Summer Learning?
The app is useful for me since I do the majority of my reading on my cell phone. It’s easier to sync my reading updates with the app immediately after I’ve finished a session. Therefore, I find Beanstack to be particularly useful for those who read on mobile devices frequently.

What do you enjoy most about working at BPL?

I like that the library draws a population with a diverse spectrum of needs and requests. It gives me the opportunity to help in a variety of ways and keeps my job functions dynamic, which is my preference.

Comments