2023 Local Authors Expo Spotlight: Tonja McKelvey


 

Meet Author Tonja McKelvey

Book Title: “How Will I Get Through My 1st Day of School?”  And “Tag Along With Me And See How The Rest Of My School Year Will Be!” 
Hometown:  Birmingham, AL
 About the Books:“How Will I Get Through My 1st Day of School? “  depicts a little girl who is about to start her first day of school and all kinds of thoughts are going through her mind of how the day will be. “Tag Along With Me And See How The Rest Of My School Year Will Be!”  tells how the little gets through the entire school year; She answers all the questions to the first book, about the first day, as well.  
How to Reach the Author: Phone 205.475.3389 Email   My1stdayofschool@gmail.com or tmckelvey@goodnewsofjesus.org  - Also follow the author on her Facebook page: Getting Through School 

How to buy the book: $14.99 on Amazon.com or pre-order from McKelvey


Tonja McKelvey will be first-time participant in the 2023 Local Authors Expo


The Birmingham Public Library is spotlighting several participants of the 2023 Local Authors Expo, happening from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. this Saturday, November 4, at the Central Library downtown. 

Meet our first Local Author Spotlight, Tonja McKelvey. The former teacher this year published her first books, "How Will I get Through My 1st Day of School?" and the follow-up, "Tag Along With Me and See How the Rest of My School Year Will Be." 

The Birmingham native, who now lives in Hueytown, is a longtime administrative assistant at new Bethlehem Baptist Church in Bessemer. Before that, McKelvey spent several years as an elementary school teacher in Birmingham. Her books are based on her years as a school teacher helping students adapt to school.

BPL: Introduce yourself. 

McKelvey: My name is Tonja McKelvey. I am a first-time author, who was born and raised in Ensley and Bessemer.  I now reside in Hueytown. I am a mother of 3 grown sons, Douglas, Alexander, and Antonio. I love to read, write and sing.

BPL: What inspired you to write “How Will I Get Through My 1st Day of School?” 

McKelvey: I am a former reading instructor for the Birmingham City Schools. I instructed and assisted kindergartners and 1st graders with reading. I saw how nervous some of them were , the 1st day with meeting teachers and wondering if they remembered what they learned in kindergarten and over the summer. I decided after several years of praying and asking God to help and direct me when to write a book, that now is the time.  He gave me this one several years ago.  


BPL: What led you to write the follow up “Tag Along With me and See How the Rest of my School Year Will Be!”?

McKelvey: I wrote it because the questions needed to be answered of how she got through the 1Tag Along With Me tells how the little girl gets through the entire school year. She answers all the questions to the first book about the first day as well.

BPL: Are there any personal stories in the book – based on experiences you or your own children had during your  first day and year of school? 

McKelvey: I was in 3rd grade when I had to change schools. I was nervous because I didn’t know if I was going to fit in. 

BPL:   What do you hope kids and parents get from your books?  

McKelvey: I hope and pray that they get that they weren’t alone being nervous. A lot of us have been there. Just keep going and relax and learn. All is well. 

BPL: What is your favorite book or books and why? 

McKelvey: My favorite books are the 2 I wrote. They are because they came from my heart and soul. I pray they will help every little child in this world persevere.

 BPL: Who is your favorite author or authors and why?  

McKelvey: I really don’t have a favorite. I think anyone who has the will, purpose and goal to be an author and write anything uplifting, suspenseful are good writers 

BPL: Any advice for other new authors or would-be authors on how to bring their words to life in a book?   

McKelvey: Yes, write, believe in yourself and just do it! 

BPL: Anything else to add?  

McKelvey: Yes, I thank all those who are purchasing my books and supporting me. Again, I pray that these books will be a blessing to all!

Comments