2022 Local Authors Expo Spotlight: Javacia Harris Bowser


Javacia Harris Bowser, 2022 Local Authors Expo Spotlight
    
     

 For many years, Javacia Harris Bowser has helped other women hone their writing skills through See Jane Write, a community website and blog for women. She also runs an online publication for women, See Jane Write Magazine and Harris Bowser has a Facebook page of the same name. 

Javacia Harris Bowser is one of several authors who will be at the Central Library downtown for the 2022 Birmingham  Public Library Local Authors Expo between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. this Saturday, November 5.

In a Q&A with BPL, Javacia Harris Bowser introduces herself to readers and talks about her latest book, "Find Your Way Back: How to Write Your Way Through Anything."  

 BPL: Tell me about your new book, released in February of this year.

Harris Bowser: "Find Your Way Back: How to Write Your Way Through Anything" is a collection of essays that demonstrate how I've used writing to cope with all the things life has thrown my way -- including being diagnosed with breast cancer in my 30s. Learn more at seejanewritebham.com/find-your-way-back 

BPL: What inspired you to write your book(s)?

Harris Bowser:  As a full-time freelance writer and writing coach, I have used writing to create the career I've always wanted. So, for a while now, I have believed that I have the power to write my way to the life of my dreams. But cancer showed me I could also write my way through my worst nightmare.  After using writing to cope with cancer, I wanted to share my story and show people that they can write their way through the hardships they're facing too, whether it's cancer or anything else.

BPL: Who is your favorite author and why? 

Harris Bowser: I have too many! The authors who have influenced me most as a writer would be Nikki Giovanni, Maya Angelou, June Jordan, Joan Morgan and Natalie Goldberg. 

BPL: What do you hope readers get out of your book? 

Harris Bowser: I hope readers see that they have the power to write their way through anything, too. That's why I included writing prompts throughout the book. I hope that after reading my stories, folks will be inspired to start writing stories of their own. 

BPL: Any advice you would give for new authors or those desiring to become an author?

Harris Bowser:  Find community! Writers need writers. Period. That's why I founded See Jane Write, a community and website for women who write. Your writing community can give you feedback on your work, can inform you of publishing and educational opportunities, and can keep you motivated along the way. Come join my community at seejanewritebham.com.

About the 2022 Birmingham Public Library Local Authors Expo
When:  10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., November 5, 2022
Where: Central Library, 2100 Park Place, Birmingham, AL 35203
Details: The 2022 BPL Local Authors Expo will showcase Alabama authors, including many from metro Birmingham. It is free for attendees. The 2022 theme is "How to Market Your Self-Published Book." Attendees will gain valuable advice from three published authors - Moderator Ruby Davis, Tania De'Shawn and book coach Dr. Fred Jones.  

Comments