BPL Employee Julie Higginbottom Shares Why She Loves Reading, & Why You Should, Too

A stack of books on a table with a full book shelf in the background.

Take a moment and ask yourself, "How does the act of reading make me feel?".

Think on that for as long as you'd like, maybe respond aloud to yourself or write your thoughts down, whatever feels most comfortable to you. You might answer and say reading makes you feel relaxed, or excited, or annoyed, or bored, or maybe you don't have much of a relationship to reading for pleasure. All of these feelings and others you may have are totally valid, and I share most of them at different times.

I feel it's important to analyze how we feel when we read. It can enhance our experience and help us understand what it is that we like or dislike about certain types of books. It can give us insight into what genres we prefer, authors we enjoy, and even if we prefer reading in digital or print.

Books were something I grew up with, and I feel very grateful for that. The stories I read when I was younger have stuck with me throughout my life. Books were companions who comforted me when I was sad, who laughed with me, and who cried with me. I remember being obsessed with the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan and loving the era of young adult dystopian novels made into movies. It was all so engaging and it taught me to find solace in words. 

I still often find comfort in fiction, especially when the characters are relatable. Now, as an adult, I often reach for nonfiction when I want to learn something new or read a memoir about someone's life, or get emotional with a bit of poetry

Anything you might be interested in, there's a book to satisfy that interest and with the library, it's easily at our disposal. So, why not use it!

Understandably, some might be hesitant to start reading, as it takes a good bit of time and energy, which most of us can already be low on. I do think it's worth it, though, and when you start, it's easier to keep going. Reading is one of my favorite ways to unwind. Books are able to take your mind to new places and give you new perspectives. It's a treasure trove just waiting to be opened up!

Another reason you should love reading is how much more accessible it is with technology. We have eBooks, Kindles, and even audiobooks to choose from. There's Libby and Hoopla for eBooks, magazines, and audiobooks. All you need to access either of those is internet access and a valid JCLC library card.

There's no wrong way to read and no way is better than another; it's all preference. It doesn't matter if it takes hours or months to get through a book. It only matters that you're reading.

It doesn't matter the genre or length. It only matters that you're reading. It doesn't even matter if it's an adult, young adult, or children's book!

Books are for everyone who wants to read them. And if you have no idea where to even start when looking, just head over to any Birmingham Public Library location and ask for assistance. We are glad to connect you to the perfect book and get you reading! 

By Julie Higginbottom | Library Assistant Ⅲ, North Birmingham Regional Branch Library

Comments